GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What to do about undersized Marvin double-hung windows installed without spray foam, with sloppy exterior caulking?

radicchiofrisee | Posted in General Questions on

After reading all of the FH and GBA articles I could, I elected to order Marvin Ultimate custom-sized insert double-hung windows for my 1910 brick row house with a flat roof since I had limited options to improve the energy efficiency and comfort without disturbing the plaster or reroofing. My storms didn’t help much and I vowed not to put up plastic another year.

During the selection process, I asked the lumber yard/sole Pgh distrbutor sales rep if the windows would be sealed/insulated between the old and new frame with spray foam, since FH says that it is essential. I was suspicious, since the VOC fumes were so bad I couldn’t sleep at home for a week after the installation. I also felt like there were drafts around the windows. When I asked the sales rep to confirm spray foam was used, he said he did.

However, given the persistent odors, I removed the trim on a few of the windows and found that it hadn’t been. In fact, there isn’t any insulation or sealant caulk between the two frames.

In addition, they were not manufactured by rough opening 3/8″ narrower and 1/4″ shorter than the IO measurement, as specified in the Marvin Measuring Instructions. The gap on each side is ~ 5/16″.

The window appears to have been shimmed on a solid piece of unprimed wood (I paid extra for factory priming) that is 5/8″. I haven’t removed the top trim but the gap appears similar.

In addition, the exterior caulk is so sloppily and thickly applied on the outside that it looks like a child’s fingerpainting on the clading in places.

Allegheny Millwork has offered to add insulation/spray foam but is balking at replacing the windows with ones that are sized per the Marvin instructions. I’m so frustrated this happened after doing so much research to make the right decision. I wish I could start over with someone else. I’d appreciate any advice on what to do. Thanks so much.

Sharon

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Sharon,
    You should insist that they complete the air sealing work around the perimeter of each window with spray foam.

Concerning the gap: If Marvin calls for a gap of 3/8 inch to 1/4 inch, and the actual gap is 5/16 inch, it sounds like you are arguing about 1/16 inch. Let it go. It often makes sense to undersize replacement windows, because existing openings aren't always square, level, and plumb.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |