GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Termites & presssure treated wood

rockinroger | Posted in General Questions on

I am of the opinion, down here in New Orleans, that Formosan termites will go for pressure treated wood as they would any other. I used to see lumber that was treated with Borate, which they don’t seem to like? I don’t seem to be able to find it anymore. What’s the skinny on this?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Roger,
    Borate-treated lumber has one major drawback: it can't be used outdoors (or anywhere exposed to rain), because rain leaches away the borate, at which point the termites move in.

Lots of distributors and mills sell borate-treated lumber, including Home Depot:

Home Depot

Lonza Wood Protection, Atlanta, GA 30328

Pro Wood Lumber

Great Southern Wood Preserving, Abbeville, Alabama 36310

Western Wood Preserving, Sumner, Washington

Osmose Wood, Griffin, Georgia 30224

<a

2. gusfhb | | #2

A quick web search finds no evidence that formosan termites eat PT wood. Borate treated lumber might be a good idea for places not required to be PT.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |