GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What product is great for daily use on shower walls that are ceramic tile to reduce soap scum build up and mildew?

Harborbreeze | Posted in General Questions on

Is there a product that is safe to use on ceramic tile on the walls in the shower on a daily basis after taking showers?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

How about a squeegee?

2. Harborbreeze | | #2

David - thanks for the answer, but l'm interested in cleaning products instead of tools

3. dankolbert | | #3

Baking soda & vinegar? Dish soap? What have you tried already?

4. Harborbreeze | | #4

Haven't used anything yet..the home is in the final construction stages and we'll move in soon. I want to start off using the best products for keeping the tile clean and looking nice.

5. davidmeiland | | #5

There is no need to clean a shower daily with a cleaning product. Drying the walls, floor, and glass with a squeegee every time will extend the periods between cleaning quite a bit. I use a white scotchbrite pad sponge and a very small amount of Bon Ami to clean our glazed tile shower.

6. jameshowison | | #6

Lots of good discussion about this at John Bridge Tile Forum:

http://www.johnbridge.com/articles/showers/tile-showers/

7. user-1087436 | | #7

A towel.

8. Harborbreeze | | #8

Thanks David -I'll look into the Bon Ami. Thanks James - I'll definitely check out the website.

9. nvman | | #9

Elbow grease ...

10. tommay | | #10

a solution of soap, water and bleach

11. MJDesigns | | #11

Hello Theresa,
    Although I haven't used it myself, I understand the following product is very good!

http://wetandforget.com/product_wet_and_forget_shower.html

12. humperdink | | #12

Once you get in the HABIT of using a squeegee, you won't mind doing it. It only takes a few seconds. Buy one at Walmart for $3.50. Also use liquid soap rather than bar soap. At one time I used Zep Commercial Tub and Tile Cleaner and liked it. It's available at Walmart and Home Depot in a spray bottle or buy a gallon for $7.50.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |