GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hot water pipe

celebrate4 | Posted in General Questions on

I think there is a hot water pipe under the floor in the bathroom that also extends into the living room area (this is an efficiency apartment), where I sleep. When I woke up I noticed towards the foot of my sleeping bag (I sleep flat on the floor on an opened up sleeping bag because of my back) the rug was actually hot in that spot and it corresponded with the hot spot in the vinyl floor in the bathroom so I surmised the above.

I now have to change the area where I sleep and I have moved to an east-west orientation to avoid this but still am only about 3 feet away from this hot water pipe. (i.e. the edge of my body measured a horizontal distance from it). Is this far enough away? I know water lines under your body can actually do real damage.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Donna,
    You should find a place in your apartment to sleep that makes you comfortable. You can sleep as close to the pipe -- or as far from the pipe -- as you want. It's up to you.

Plenty of people like to have some heat underneath them when they sleep. Examples include people who sleep on heated waterbeds, Korean families who sleep on heated ondol floors, or ordinary Americans who like to use an electric mattress pad.

Other people like cool air underneath them, so they sleep in a hammock.

Fortunately, this is a free country, and you can get comfortable any way you want.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |