GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Building from ICF

sophie99 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi all,

I am considering building a single family home using ICF in Chicago suburbs. Can someone recommend a good and experienced contractor to do the job?

Any ideas about the cost premium over the traditional wood framing?

Thanks so much.

Sincerely

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-1012653 | | #1

Mike
    you are looking at anywhere from 3-6% more. things that can come into play with price is the complexity of the home, experience/speed of the builder, etc.

2. user-946029 | | #2

Mike:

I simply went to forms.org and searched for an ICF contractor. I found only one:

Biltmore Insulated Concrete
    Eric Barton, President
    3649 Leonard Wood East
    Highland Park, Illinois 60035-5905
    Phone: 847-681-1973
    http://www.biltmoreicf.com

Apparently, he's trained on the Passivhaus method, and has experience with LEED and NGBS certifications.

Disclosure: I met Eric back in 2006, when he first entered the ICF industry. He's a very nice guy and was eager to learn, but I haven't had any interaction with him since 2009.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |