GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Window frame rot

rcharrel | Posted in General Questions on

Hi. We have rot in the exterior window and door frames around our older home which we need to get repaired. I want to get the damage fixed and then get the frames aluminum wrapped. I have two bids for the work but they are approaching it with different techniques. The higher bid wants to replace the frames with new wood frames and wrap those with aluminum. I am thinking that for what they are doing the bid is not unreasonable. The more affordable bid wants to cut out the rot fill it with spray foam and then cover that with the aluminum. I don’t want to make a stupid decision just to spare my tight pocketbook. I would appreciate any thoughts on whether I should just get the frames replaced with new wood or if there are questions I can ask the other company that if I get the right answers make the more affordable spray foam option a reasonable choice. Thank you so much.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rachel,
    First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by "frames." You may actually be talking about window casing, not window frames.

There are two kinds of window frames: the sash frames that hold the glass, and the window frames that hold the sash. The casing is the trim that surrounds the window, bridging the gap between the window frame and the wall sheathing (on the exterior) or the window frame and the gypsum wallboard (on the interior).

If your sash frames or window frames are rotten, it usually doesn't make any sense to repair the rotten wood. Unless the rot is minor, you may need a new window.

If the casing is rotten, you can repair the casing. I would select the contractor who suggests a repair with wood rather than the contractor who suggest a repair with spray foam.

Finally, if you have rotten casing, it might make sense to just replace the rotten casing with new casing (either wood or some type of weather-resistant composite material).

2. rcharrel | | #2

Thank you Martin. Yes, I am talking about the trim that surrounds the window, the casings, as you called them. Thank you for your advice. I really needed to ask someone knowledgeable other than the contractors themselves. The company who wants to cut out the rot and put in spray foam and then aluminum wrap the casings has assured me it wouldn't matter since it would be wrapped with aluminum but I have been concerned that this might just be a quick, easy affordable fix that could lead to other problems down the road. Once again, thank you!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |