GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for Energy Star contractor in Hudson Valley, NY

jeseidman | Posted in General Questions on

I’d like to get a home energy audit and do some sealing/insulating through the NYSERDA/Energy Star program. The NYSERDA web-site lists a couple dozen Energy Star, BPI-certified “Home Performance” contractors in my area (near Poughkeepsie, NY), and I have no idea how to chose. Does anyone in the area have experience doing an audit/retrofit with a local contractor? Alternatively, if there is a contractor who is reading this web-site, that would be enough to recommend you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. kdmckenzie | | #1

Hi, Jeff. Not an answer, but I'm about to do the same thing, in the same place. Who did you end up going with? Were you happy with them?

2. jeseidman | | #2

Hi Kevin,

I went with Malcarne, based in Rhinebeck. They're a big operation, and they seem to specialize in green building. (I believe they run a BPI institute.)

I was very happy with them. Ours was a big job, but they sent a team of five guys, so it went fast, and they had good followup up. Their foreman was a pleasure to work with. I'd go with them again, for other sorts of projects.

Hope that's some help! Good luck!
    Jeff Seidman

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |