GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

The sheet metal duct work in my house carries sounds (complete conversations) from one room to another. How can I stop this?

user-880850 | Posted in General Questions on

The sheet metal duct work in my house carries sounds (complete conversations, music, television, etc.) from one end of the house to another. The attic does not have working room to wrap the duct work. I don’t want to spend too much to fix the problem, any suggestions?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. severaltypesofnerd | | #1

An Fantech FG 4 fan closes when not in use, isolating the room. See http://soundisolationstore.com/
    In general for an inexpensive but highly effective first level reduction, look to a physical damper. When the system is pumping air you have the masking noise of the airflow that probably muffles the conversations anyway.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |