GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can open-web floor truss space be used instead of ductwork for heating/cooling?

mevalery | Posted in General Questions on

I have a already built 3-story 3,800 s.f. colonial Garrison outside of Boston, MA. When we built the home in the late ’80s I figured to save money on duct work by not putting in whole house AC. I might have saved then, but I’m going to have to pay now that we are putting in a new HVAC system to replace the oil baseboard heat and window AC.

The house has open-web floor trusses and am wondering if it is even possible to use the open spaces between floors for air distribution? The perimeter of all the trusses have been sealed with 3″ closed cell foam, 1″ foam board on the outside, and a house wrap, so the space between the floors is tight.

My knowledge of HVAC systems does not go far beyond cool air falls and hot air rises. Just hoping that floor and ceiling vents combined with open web floor trusses could offset some of the $12K that I just got quoted for ductwork.

Thanks,
Mark

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-626934 | | #1

It's certainly possible. Search the web for "under-floor air distribution". I've never heard of it being done in residential wood-framed construction, though.

2. mevalery | | #2

John,
    Thanks. I do a search for those words combined with residential and anything else I can think of.
    Mark

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Mark,
    I disagree with John Semmelhack. According to the 2009 International Residential Code, section M1601.5, "Under-floor plenums shall be prohibited in new structures." Moreover, according to section M1601.1.1, "Stud wall cavities and the spaces between solid floor joists to be used as air plenums shall comply with the following conditions: 1. These cavities or spaces shall not be used as a plenum for supply air."

4. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #4

As Martin said, you can not use the truss cavities as plenums, but if you have the space, you can run ducts in between the webs. In my projects, I only specify dedicated chases for main supply trunk lines and in-between web spaces for all branches. The complete duct system is metal, with some minor 5' max. flex duct ends with appropriate elbows, for noise reduction.

5. user-626934 | | #5

Martin - I didn't mean to imply that it was code-compliant or that I was recommending it...just that it was POSSIBLE, and was done in other situations...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |