GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Best bang for the buck

user-381444 | Posted in General Questions on

My house heats and cools very inefficiently for a number of reasons, but they mostly add up to below average construction (Maronda Homes for anyone who knows of them). There are a number of general recommendations that come from a variety of interests such as better windows/doors, better attic to second floor sealing, better attic insulation, whole house fan, etc. What I am looking for is someone who is able to visit my home and make an unbiased, professional recommendation based on my actual conditions – in other words someone who is only selling his/her professional advice.

I live in central Ohio where we have cold winters and hot, humid summers. I am very interested in improving my home’s comfort, but I really want to make informed decisions regarding where to spend money.

What type of person should I be looking for, and where would I find such a person?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Roy,
    You are looking for an energy rater or an energy auditor. The best ones are certified by one of two organizations: either RESNET or BPI. Click on the links to find someone in your area:

RESNET

BPI

2. mackstann | | #2

Also worth reviewing is the Energy Efficiency Pyramid article by Martin: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/energy-efficiency-pyramid

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |