GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

An off-topic post

Martin Holladay | Posted in General Questions on

This isn’t relevant to green building… but here is a photo that I captured on my motion-sensor camera this week. The camera was on a tree near my vegetable garden.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-1087436 | | #1

I was going to come up with a building inspector joke. Instead, I'll pretend this is Facebook and just say,

"Like."

2. davidmeiland | | #2

Do you have a fence around the garden?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

David,
    No fence. One year I lost a few transplants in May when a moose walked through the garden and stepped on them. The deer stay away until November -- I'm not sure why -- when they come and nibble the kale.

More photos below from my tree-mounted camera: turkeys, a doe, a buck, and 80% of a bear. Some of the photos have been cropped.

4. user-757117 | | #4

Martin,
    I see you have a Bushnell camera - how do you like it?
    I've been making do with a "Stealth Cam" that I got on sale - it seems durable, but triggers too easily I find (I get lots of pictures of grass and trees swaying in the wind).

To bring your post a little more "on-topic", here's one I got of a bear in my rigid foam:

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Lucas,
    That's a great photo! Thanks for introducing some rigid foam to this discussion, so that we are no longer off-topic.

The Bushnell camera also has quirks. Like your camera, it takes photos of nothing (perhaps the wind is agitating the leaves?). Its menu is maddeningly complex and non-intuitive. But I have nothing to compare it to. It's a lot of fun.

6. user-757117 | | #6

Martin,
    I think that bear must have found some ants in there.
    I tried to have a look in the aftermath but it did a pretty good job cleaning them out.

The menu system on my camera is also rediculous.
    I notice that it most often takes pictures of nothing on warm, windy days.
    My camera has an IR trigger system, and (I think) that on those warmer days, thermal contrast of the vegetation moving in the wind is enough to confuse the camera into thinking there is a warm body moving by.

Despite some of these frustrations, I agree that it's still a lot of fun.

7. user-884554 | | #7

Martin,
    I'm envious. I would trade your "neighbors" for mine any day. Aside from an occasional coyote,and more cat squirrels than one can count (must not be enough coyotes!), the only 4 footed visitors I get are dogs that the two footed neighbors can't seem to pay attention to.

8. jklingel | | #8

That bull appears to be about 55". My only question is: Innie, or outie? (of season)

9. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #9

John,
    Moose permits in Vermont are by lottery and are relatively hard to get. The season hasn't started. These details are irrelevant to me, however, because I don't own firearms and I don't hunt.

When it comes to wild meat, I restrict myself to roadkill (a fresh turkey once, and a deer found by a friend) and animals that bounce off my windows (ruffed grouse on two different occasions).

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |