GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

HRV help!

VTMOM | Posted in General Questions on

We are building a 2600-2700 sq ft home in VT.
Using spray foam insulation.
Told we need HRV …
We do not know much about the various systems but with our open floor plan are having
a difficult time with duct work/vents – not many walls to put them in.
1. Are there any systems that hands down work better
2. Aret there any systems that use smaller or minimal duct work?
3. Any particular HRV systems to avoid? Think FanTech is what is spec’d.
Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. mackstann | | #1

I don't know if it would meet your requirements, but Panasonic makes a "spot" ERV that needs no interior ducts -- just two ducts run to the outdoors. It won't distribute air through multiple rooms like a typical HRV/ERV -- it just provides fresh air to the room in which it's located, and relies on pre-existing air circulation to distribute the fresh air. An open floor plan seems well suited. From what I recall, its efficiency is not amazing, but it's simple and affordable.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Elizabeth,
    While it's probably true that your home needs a ventilation system, an HRV is not the only option. There are many ways to ventilate a house. To learn more about ventilation systems, see Designing a Good Ventilation System.

Q. "Are there any systems that hands down work better?"

A. A balanced ventilation system with an ERV or HRV with dedicated ventilation ductwork is usually the most effective ventilation system, and costs the least to operate. However, it costs more to install than simpler ventilation systems.

Q. "Are there any systems that use smaller or minimal duct work?"

A. For the least ductwork, choose an exhaust-only ventilation system. The simplest approach is to put your bathroom exhaust fan on a timer.

Q. "Any particular HRV systems to avoid? Think FanTech is what is spec'd."

A. I don't think there is any reason to avoid any particular brand of HRV. The equipment should be installed according the the manufacturer's recommendations.

3. pwalshe | | #3

I recall that the Zehnder HRV uses plastic piping for ducting which may be easier to install - maybe other units use that type of ducting too

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/mechanicals/25348/ultimate-air-vs-zehnder-hrv

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |