GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How do you connect the old and the new stucco when patching?

Zosimolargo | Posted in General Questions on

How to you connect the old and the new stucco wall? In the beginning there was a leak due to a crack on the corner side on a stucco wall as we opened it, and opened an area approximately 8.0” x 3.0” wide as the projected size to be cut. Now, my question: what is the proper procedure including the material to be used, do you need caulking materials to connect its border between the old and the new stucco? How do you repair the stucco which separates the window glass and the stucco wall, and the existing expansion joints and the new stucco?. The stucco man I hired used office type size stapler and shingle roof nails to fasten the wire mess and the plastic material into the plywood wall, is that okay?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Zosimo,
    There are many aspects to your question. I think I will list them:

1. Your stucco leaked, and the water damaged your wall, and now you want to fix the problem. You want to be sure that your stucco patch doesn't leak in the future.

2. You want to be sure that the stucco patch looks good.

3. You are worried that your stucco contractor may not know what he is doing.

1. To address the first question: stucco leaks and wall rot are big issues, and many repairs don't address the underlying problem. The question isn't about caulk; it's about making sure that you know why the stucco failed, and making sure that the problem doesn't happen again. Stucco is more likely to trap moisture than almost any other siding. If you have a wood-framed house with stucco in a rainy climate, it's difficult and expensive to get all of the details right. To learn more, you might want to read To Install Stucco Right, Include an Air Gap.

Here are links to two other articles you might want to read:

Keeping Water Out of Stucco Walls

Fixing a Botched Stucco Job

2. Making the patch look good can be tricky; many stucco patch jobs are easy to spot, because the texture or color looks different. Doing a good job is more a matter of experience than knowledge, but you (or your contractor) can learn a lot by reading a few articles on the topic. Use Google.

3. If you don't trust your contractor's competence, you may have to discontinue the job and find someone you are more comfortable with. Ask for references; as people you trust for recommendations; and do as much research as you can before choosing a contractor. Good luck.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |