GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is it possible to install new stud frame and window from inside instead of ripping split face stone outer wall down? What about the wall ties?

Tedarjack | Posted in General Questions on

Termite damage on inside stud wall around window.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Thomas,
    You haven't fully described your wall assembly, but it sounds like your house has wood-framed walls with adhered stone veneer.

This type of wall is at risk of moisture problems unless it is very carefully detailed and flashed. Ideally, your installer didn't use OSB sheathing (since OSB rots easily), but instead installed exterior rigid foam with an alternative bracing system. And ideally, your installer remembered to include a three-dimensional plastic mesh product to provide an air gap between the back of the stone and the sheathing.

To answer your original question: once the old window has been removed, it's important to inspect the rough opening to see if it was properly flashed. If it was, you may be able to replace the window from the inside without disturbing the stone. But if the rough opening or the wall itself has flashing problems, you may need more extensive repairs than you think.

The bottom line is: the answer to your question requires a site visit and a set of trained eyes.

2. Tedarjack | | #2

Martin, the house was built in1957. It have the old 1by8 sheathing with tar paper. The outer wall is stacked split face stone. Someone has plugged the weep holes at the bottom. The interior wall is rotted due to termites. It's about 30 feet worth of bad stud wall which is on a slab. I'm worried about framing the window portion of the wall and making it fit the stone opening. Also, I am concerned with the wall ties back into the stone from the inside wall. What kind of window works best for this? Can I tapcon through the inner wall into the stone as wall tie?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Thomas,
    I think that your situation is too complicated (and risky) for solutions to be provided over the Internet.

Termites prefer damp wood to dry wood, so your termite problem might also be a moisture-entry problem. If you have 30 feet of bad wall, you have a major problem.

4. Tedarjack | | #4

It is 15 ft. The water entry has been taken care of. I just need to know what kind of wall tie I can use. Some of the ties are nailed back into the ends of the studs. Can I use tapcons through the sheathing into the stone?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |