Why?

I just want to ask a question which I'm sure other people want to ask.

Why is this beautiful, valuable website so dysfunctional? Why is it completely off at night and on weekends, and why does it get so many gobbledy-gook spam questions late in the day?

This has been going on for years. What will it take to make this website work? Why does a first-class operation like Taunton allow this to go on?

Asked by Gordon Taylor

1.

I didn't realize it had been going on for years. That's incredible. Often I want to link people to articles here, but I have to use a google cache link because the article is either down, or might be down when they go to look at it.

I doubt we can really expect a 100% direct answer to such a clearly deep problem at the company.

I work on websites myself and at least from my distant view, it seems like these are problems that aren't that incredibly hard to solve. The permissions thing might be some deep, obscure bug, but at least the workaround (Martin hitting some button) could be automated or something.

Answered by Nick Welch

2.

Nick, I know my statement may sound like hyperbole. But just as I am writing this, there is a posted question that is nothing but HTML trash linking to a site that sells cheap Omega watches. And later tonight the site will be down. It always is at night. I'm really not exaggerating. I've been reading this site for years, and I can never remember a time when there wasn't a problem with it. I'm not subscribed to GBA Pro any more, but while I was the situation was no different. People talk about Healthcare.gov as if it's natural that a government agency should screw up. But this is a site run by one of the finest, highest-quality (and privately-owned) magazines in the country.

Answered by Gordon Taylor
Edited Thu, 12/12/2013 - 01:37.

3.

I'm very familiar with the problems, I just didn't know they had such a long history. The site is very Jekyll and Hyde -- amazing and informative by day, totally broken at night.

Answered by Nick Welch

4.

Gordon and Nick,
My job on this website is to work as a writer and editor. Like you, I am frustrated by the website glitches, and I will be relieved when the website is fixed.

In the meantime, all I can do is urge patience.

5.

My perspective is that Taunton does not appreciate this site enough so they haven't worked on it as they should. And the other thing is that they do not appreciate your work enough so you end up deleting spam and repairing permissions.

I love this website. It has helped me so much. I hate to see people lose interest in it because of these issues. I notice that Fine Homebuilding always works.

That's why I asked you a week or two ago if there was anything we could do to help solve this problem. Write fan letters to Taunton press and let them know how helpful this site (along with Martin Holladay's knowledge) is to us? Emphasize that we do buy products advertised on this site and Fine Homebuilding. What do you think?

Answered by Lucy Foxworth

6.

Lucy,
Thanks for your support. While I am not advocating any kind of campaign, anyone interested in contacting employees at Taunton Press can use the Taunton Press "Contact Us" web page as a starting point.

To be fair to Taunton, I should point out that Taunton Press has contracted with a team of programmers to try to fix the GBA site. The programmers are working on the problem now. The decision to hire these outside programmers was made 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

7.

Thank you, Martin.

I just emailed them on the contact page.

Answered by Lucy Foxworth

8.

Lucy, what an Excellent Idea
I would be more like Larry David and ask for the Webmaster's Home Phone Number ...So we can call him on the weekend ....
and let Martin have a peaceful weekend

Kudos to Martin Holladay

Answered by John Brooks

9.

Lo and behold, late last night I logged on and it worked! Who knew?? (But still, the Q & A was glogged up with spam questions.) Anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone in this. And believe me, I have nothing but the highest regard for the contributors and editors of this site, beginning with Martin and going down the list. That's why it's so frustrating.

Answered by Gordon Taylor