I have a central air conditioning unit. Can I convert it to a heat pump and air conditioning?

I live in NY and can I convert my central air conditioning unit to a heat pump and air conditioning unit and if so how do you do it? Thank you

Asked by vincent lomonaco
Edited Mon, 12/16/2013 - 10:04

1.

Vincent,
If you have a reversible heat pump already, you are all set. This type of heat pump provides air conditioning during the summer and space heat during the winter.

If you are sure that your air conditioner provides cooling only, they you will need to buy a new heat pump unit (the outdoor unit).

It is possible (but not certain) that your indoor air handler and forced-air ductwork will be adequate for space heat as well as air conditioning. The only way to determine the answer to your question is to get your equipment assessed by an HVAC contractor or mechanical engineer.