GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Basement corner frame around electrical panel question

suedeuno | Posted in General Questions on

So I’m looking to finish a space in my basement. The space has an electrical panel near a corner of the concrete walls. I am putting up 2″ rigid foam on the concrete and that will leave me 2 1/4 inches to the edge of the panel. What is the best way to frame that corner? If the panel has to be moved then that would also require extending about a dozen wires coming out of it that run to various locations in the house so it would be nice if I didn’t have to move the panel.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Wade,
    This is a classic example of a dilemma that occurs all the time when insulating basement walls. There are two possible solutions: the easy and cheap solution (in your case, leaving the electrical panel where it is) and the difficult and expensive solution (in your case, hiring an electrician to move your electrical panel a few inches inward, to allow spray foam or rigid foam to be installed behind the electrical panel).

Similar dilemmas occur with basement stairs that are located tight to the foundation wall.

Easy-and-cheap will never perform as well as difficult-and-expensive, of course, because the easy and cheap solution will leave a big thermal hole in your insulation. Only you can decide which way to proceed.

If you decide to go the easy-and-cheap route, you can install wood trim around your electrical panel.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |