GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Diverting a stove pipe interfering with chimney draft?

Myrtleboone | Posted in General Questions on

I am in the planning stages of building a home, which includes a wood stove in the great room. To create the best draft and because of window location, I am limited on where I can place my stove. The best location is centered in my great room, but places it directly under an supporting beam. My thought is to run the stove pipe several feet up from the top of my stove, divert it around the LVL with a 45 degree elbow, and another to bring it back to vertical and continue straight through to the roof. I’m wondering whether this will have a large impact on my draft and/or cleaning of the pipe? FYI, the pipe will be located in the house, double walled stainless steel, and come out close to the peak of the roof.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davidmeiland | | #1

I just put in a 6" flue for a small wood stove, in a difficult location. It rises 4 feet from the top of the stove, then turns 90 degrees and goes through a wall to a tee where it goes vertical again. It then rises 5 feet to an offset consisting of two 30 degree elbows with 3 feet between them, then finally goes up another 12 feet. More turns than what you're describing and it works fine. I typically use Simpson DuraTech and they offer either 15 or 30 degree elbows, no 45s. You should consider how you are going to support your offset, and whether it will be aesthetic (the usual supports are galv straps).

Everything is class A except the 4' on top of the stove and the 90. You can probably use single wall or double wall inside your room and convert to class A just below the ceiling.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Matthew,
    David is right -- you can get away with a few elbows when you are installing stovepipe or a wood-stove chimney. Here are a few caveats:

1. The more elbows, the harder the chimney is to clean. A straight, vertical flue without any elbows will always be easiest to clean.

2. A 45 degree elbow is always better than a 90 degree elbow.

3. The fewer elbows, the better.

3. Myrtleboone | | #3

Thanks for the info. Martin-when you say "...Using one 45 degree elbow", won't I need two 45s to return my pipe back to vertical? I understand your comment on not returning it back over the LVL once it has cleared it.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Matthew,
    Yes, you're right. Two 45-degree elbows will return the pipe to vertical.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |