How to remove mold from wood floor joists in crawl space and prevent future mold due to moisture in the crawl space?

I found molds on my first floor supporting wood joists in the crawl space. I need to remove the mold and prevent future molds. I am planning to install new Class ! vapor retarder on crawl space dirt and close out all vents on foundation walls except two for cross ventilation.

Asked by sisir mukherji
Edited Fri, 01/24/2014 - 15:11

1.

Sisir,
The most important first step is to make sure that your crawl space is dry. You can't do anything about the mold problem until you tackle the moisture problem.

Here is an article that talks about fixing a wet basement. Most of the advice in that article also applies to crawl spaces, so I suggest that you read it: Fixing a Wet Basement.

After implementing some of the measures discussed in that article, you may want to take the advice provided in this article: Building an Unvented Crawl Space.

As far as the existing mold is concerned, you will hear conflicting advice on the issue. Once the space is truly dry, you can either (a) ignore the mold, or (b) wash the moldy joists with ordinary soap and water and a scrub brush, or (c) wipe the joists with a solution of household bleach and water.

The main point is: once you get the area dried out, you won't have a mold problem any more.

Edited Fri, 01/24/2014 - 15:19.