I live in Tennessee. Do I need a vapor barrier on the outside walls and ceiling in the bathroom I am building? Should I use green back drywall board?

If I use green back should I use a vapor barrier? My house is not wrapped in tyvex and has a metal roof without tarpaper under the metal. The bathroom is going in on the second floor. I plan to use cement board in shower area.

Asked by Lonnie Baker

1.

Google Red Gard.

Apply it to your cement board, fiberglass tape all seams, apply two coats to seams, one to wall, and if doing a mud base then two to the base..

As to outside moisture coming into your walls... cement board can take some... seasonally the wall should be OK... You need a good air barrier on the exterior of your home with the proper perm too.

Red Gard.jpg