Helpful? 0

Thermal mass question

I'm wondering how much I'll decrease the effectiveness of a 4" slab/ thermal mass by laying a thick underlayment (looks like a yoga mat) over the cement floor and installing a floating 5/16" engineered wood floor over that.

The 4" cement slab is insulated on all 5 sides with 4" of extruded polystyrene foam board.
I've been living in the home while I'm finishing it and I love how its working during these cold snaps.

So, my question is, if I put this floor & underlayment down, will I be decreasing the thermal mass's effectiveness by 30%, 40%, 50% or more? Is there a way to find out?
Thank you

Asked by Michael Belhumeur
Posted Tue, 01/28/2014 - 21:22
Edited Tue, 01/28/2014 - 21:24

Tags:

4 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Wild guess: with 4" of XPS all around the slab, the flooring and underlayment will barely make a difference.

Maybe someone with data will come along.

Answered by David Meiland
Posted Tue, 01/28/2014 - 22:45

Helpful? 0

I agree with David. The only caveat would be if there used to be significant solar gain onto the slab that now has the wood over it, which would't absorb as much heat from the sun.

Answered by KEVIN ZORSKI
Posted Wed, 01/29/2014 - 00:15

Helpful? 0

other than the solar gain issue, the slab will stay close to air temperature, like a big heat battery, covered or not.

Answered by Bob Irving
Posted Wed, 01/29/2014 - 23:33

Helpful? 0

Thanks guys. I feel better moving forward. Have a good one.

Answered by Michael Belhumeur
Posted Mon, 02/03/2014 - 19:53

Other Questions in General questions

In Green building techniques | Asked by jordan Saunders | Sep 1, 14
In General questions | Asked by Steve Young | Aug 16, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Matthew Michaud | May 2, 14
In General questions | Asked by Ian Osborn | Sep 2, 14
In Green products and materials | Asked by John Alberti | Aug 26, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!