Helpful? 0

Will a wall with spray foam and 1.5" exterior Roxul have condensation issues?

I am planning a gut-redo/addition to my house. I would like to place rigid insulation on the exterior but I am limited to 1.5" (local zoning laws force me to keep the existing side walls else the structure shrinks in width by 5 feet - to comply with new rules). Because I can only get 1.5" I am thinking of using 2lb foam inside the studs (to R-30) and Roxul ComfortBoard IS on the exterior (to reduce thermal bridging and allow the sheathing to dry to the outside).

But with only 1.5" of exterior insulation the sheathing will remain cold. Is there a concern of condensation on the sheathing? I should note that I am planning to air seal the entire house at the wall/roof sheathing (also cover the roof in rigid insulation), hopefully to 1 ACH @ 50 Pa. I am in Toronto, Canada which I believe is climate zone 6

Asked by David Cook
Posted Sun, 02/02/2014 - 21:05
Edited Mon, 02/03/2014 - 08:57

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

David,
Q. "Will a wall with spray foam and 1.5 inch exterior Roxul have condensation issues?"

A. No. The closed-cell spray foam is an air barrier and a vapor retarder, and will prevent any interior moisture from reaching the wall sheathing. Moreover, this type of wall can dry to the exterior if the sheathing ever gets damp.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Mon, 02/03/2014 - 09:01

Other Questions in General questions

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeff Lever | Jul 29, 14
In Plans Review | Asked by Joshua Wyatt | Jul 28, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Andrew Robinson | Jun 10, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by Keith Richtman | Jul 29, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by david chinn | Jul 27, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!