How to quiet a tongue-and-groove floor?

Planning on using 2x6 T&G flooring in a timber-frame. Not too concerned about 1st floor, but there will be 2nd floor bedrooms over the 1st floor master bedroom and loft area over kitchen.

Any thoughts as to soften the sound transfer between floors?

Asked by John H. Stehman
Edited Wed, 02/05/2014 - 06:29

1.

1/2" Homosote works well as a quieting underlayment. Typically used under carpet, but helps under a wood floor, although you'll still hear foot steps in the room beneath.

Answered by Bob Irving

2.

If the 2X6 T-G is exposed from above and below, the homosote idea won't be aesthetically acceptable. I built a home with exposed 2'nd floor joists, 3X8's, 2'O.C. I used 1X8 pine as the first floor ceiling/second floor subfloor. Then laid 1/2 inch water resistant drywall, which is screwed down and goes down quickly. Then tarpaper and finished wood flooring, nailed through the drywall layer into the floor joists. A sound engineer came up with this plan when I consulted with him. The idea is to have a different, heavier density than wood to not transmit the sound as readily, Unconventional, but has held up well and is significantly quieter than my friend's house with 2X6 T-G as you propose.

Answered by KEVIN ZORSKI

3.

That is what I was thinking. Some kind of layered system. Maybe a 3/4 t&g with homosote sandwiched inbetween.

Answered by John H. Stehman

4.

Living in such ah house, I don't find it worse than most standard construction floors.

I think standard sound deadening will tell you that air sealing is number one. You have a gap every 6 inches.

In my house you hear the closet doors work downstairs from upstairs, and of course you hear people walk, but most house are like that. Most of the sound seems to come up the center stairs

I wonder if cement board would be a good underlayment

Answered by Keith Gustafson

5.

the homosote works well in my house between a wood ceiling and a wood floor, and was recommended by the architect in an Opthamologists office renovation (over standard framing) to minimize noise while operating on eyes. Worked great there too.

The choice of 2x6 or 1x ceiling finish is related to the span of the joists.

Answered by Bob Irving