GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to quiet a tongue-and-groove floor?

johnharry | Posted in General Questions on

Planning on using 2×6 T&G flooring in a timber-frame. Not too concerned about 1st floor, but there will be 2nd floor bedrooms over the 1st floor master bedroom and loft area over kitchen.

Any thoughts as to soften the sound transfer between floors?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-1072251 | | #1

1/2" Homosote works well as a quieting underlayment. Typically used under carpet, but helps under a wood floor, although you'll still hear foot steps in the room beneath.

2. OSTEOPATHICBUILDER | | #2

If the 2X6 T-G is exposed from above and below, the homosote idea won't be aesthetically acceptable. I built a home with exposed 2'nd floor joists, 3X8's, 2'O.C. I used 1X8 pine as the first floor ceiling/second floor subfloor. Then laid 1/2 inch water resistant drywall, which is screwed down and goes down quickly. Then tarpaper and finished wood flooring, nailed through the drywall layer into the floor joists. A sound engineer came up with this plan when I consulted with him. The idea is to have a different, heavier density than wood to not transmit the sound as readily, Unconventional, but has held up well and is significantly quieter than my friend's house with 2X6 T-G as you propose.

3. johnharry | | #3

That is what I was thinking. Some kind of layered system. Maybe a 3/4 t&g with homosote sandwiched inbetween.

4. gusfhb | | #4

Living in such ah house, I don't find it worse than most standard construction floors.

I think standard sound deadening will tell you that air sealing is number one. You have a gap every 6 inches.

In my house you hear the closet doors work downstairs from upstairs, and of course you hear people walk, but most house are like that. Most of the sound seems to come up the center stairs

I wonder if cement board would be a good underlayment

5. user-1072251 | | #5

the homosote works well in my house between a wood ceiling and a wood floor, and was recommended by the architect in an Opthamologists office renovation (over standard framing) to minimize noise while operating on eyes. Worked great there too.

The choice of 2x6 or 1x ceiling finish is related to the span of the joists.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |