GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can I use Sheetrock all-purpose joint compound to texture directly over concrete basement walls?

rdscott22 | Posted in General Questions on

I purchased a home that was built in 1958. The basement was finished by some sort of texture over the concrete and then painted. It looks nice, but I noticed some areas that the paint did not adhere well. I started removing some of the paint.

My question is: do I need to remove all the paint and texture or can I just remove the bad areas, and retexture those areas and repaint?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rod,
    The probable reason that some of the paint is not adhering well is because the basement walls are damp.

Drywall compound is water-soluble (which is why drywall finishers sometimes use a damp sponge to smooth out rough areas). If your basement wall is damp (or sometimes damp), the drywall compound will get soft -- which is why it is an inappropriate material for finishing basement walls.

Ideally, basement walls should be insulated before they are finished. For more information on these issues, see these two articles:

How to Insulate a Basement Wall

Fixing a Wet Basement

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |