Combined gas and wood smoke vent?

Can I join a wood smoke vent pipe with an existing vent pipe from my gas central heating unit in the attic so I have only one vent through the roof?

I would like to install a wood burning stove and the vent pipe through the ceiling into the attic is on approximately the same line as the existing vent pipe from the central heat unit in the attic and already vented through the roof. It would be nice if I could just tie into the existing pipe in the attic so I don't need to cut a separate hole right next to the one already there.

Asked by Lloyd Walker
Edited Fri, 02/07/2014 - 15:25

1.

Lloyd,
Q. "Can I join a wood smoke vent pipe with an existing vent pipe from my gas central heating unit in the attic so I have only one vent through the roof?"

A. No.

These two appliances require separate flues. Note that a wood stove needs more than a "vent pipe." It needs a chimney -- either a metal chimney rated for wood stoves or a masonry chimney with a flue tile liner.