Helpful? 0

Water heater for geothermal system?

I currently have a geothermal system approximately 10 years old. I have two electric water heaters. My water heater in the attic is going out. It is a standard 50 gallon electric water heater ( replacement size does matter, as it must fit through the attic opening.) It is not hooked up properly to allow the geothermal system to heat the water during the allowable times of year. Is there a particular water heater (brand and model) you would recommend that can be connected to the geothermal system (assuming it is done properly this time) ?

Thank you.

Asked by LOUANNE SANBORN
Posted Wed, 02/19/2014 - 17:15
Edited Wed, 02/19/2014 - 19:56

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 1

Louanne,
The first step is to contact the manufacturer of your ground-source heat pump (sometimes called a geothermal heat pump). Some ground-source heat pumps can include a desuperheater -- that is the component that allows the heat pump to supply some domestic hot water as well as space heating -- and some can't.

The manufacturer will be able to describe what equipment you need, assuming that your heat pump includes (or can include) a desuperheater.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 02/20/2014 - 07:05

Other Questions in General questions

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Noah Byler | Jul 23, 14
In General questions | Asked by Paul Nicholls | Jul 22, 14
In Mechanicals | Asked by Kevin Ummel | Jul 24, 14
In PassivHaus | Asked by Scott Tenney | Jul 24, 14
In General questions | Asked by Roger Berry | Jul 24, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!