GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Water heater for geothermal system?

lass3713 | Posted in General Questions on

I currently have a geothermal system approximately 10 years old. I have two electric water heaters. My water heater in the attic is going out. It is a standard 50 gallon electric water heater ( replacement size does matter, as it must fit through the attic opening.) It is not hooked up properly to allow the geothermal system to heat the water during the allowable times of year. Is there a particular water heater (brand and model) you would recommend that can be connected to the geothermal system (assuming it is done properly this time) ?

Thank you.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Louanne,
    The first step is to contact the manufacturer of your ground-source heat pump (sometimes called a geothermal heat pump). Some ground-source heat pumps can include a desuperheater -- that is the component that allows the heat pump to supply some domestic hot water as well as space heating -- and some can't.

The manufacturer will be able to describe what equipment you need, assuming that your heat pump includes (or can include) a desuperheater.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |