Helpful? 0

Concerning moisture inside open cavity stick-built walls

My project is in DE near the beach - a high moisture area. I have a slab on grade "cottage". The walls are 2x4's on 2'0 centers vertically with 2x4's also on 2'0 centers horizontally to the outside of the vertical studs - covered by painted T111. The "lid" is conventional trusses, vented, with foil faced rigid foam on the underside of the bottom truss chord. It was supposed to be a garage but it has morphed into a secondary living space for overflow guests, parties, etc and I want to use an air conditioner in there. I also want to cover the inside of the walls with sheetrock and paneling. I'm not planning on using any batt insulation inside the wall cavity. It's never used in the winter. Am I too worried about moisture (then mold) getting trapped between the sheetrock and the T111? Are there steps I should take differently to reduce the risk? Or do you suggest I insulate it? Thanks for your opinion.

Greg at www.timberframe1.com

Asked by Greg Burnshaw
Posted Thu, 03/06/2014 - 17:15
Edited Thu, 03/06/2014 - 17:49

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 1

Greg,
I don't think you have to worry about moisture. But your air conditioning bills will be lower if you perform air sealing work and install some insulation.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 03/06/2014 - 17:51

Other Questions in General questions

In PassivHaus | Asked by Scott Tenney | Jul 24, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Noah Byler | Jul 23, 14
In General questions | Asked by Don Moore | Jul 23, 14
In Mechanicals | Asked by Kevin Ummel | Jul 24, 14
In General questions | Asked by Roger Berry | Jul 24, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!