R21 foil insulation?

I admit my surprise when entering GBA this afternoon and being greeted by a banner advertisement for an R21 thin foil reflective film insulation.

I went to the website, but not a lot of technical information there on why the product apparently has such extraordinary performance, as claimed of course.

Asked by Greg Smith

1.

Greg,
Have you got a link to a website or a company name?

These Google display ads are always a little goofy. First of all, the ads you see are different from the ones I see. (The ads are partly based on your web surfing history. It's creepy.)

The other funny thing about Google ads is that, when I write a blog that says, "Product X is worthless and the people who sell it are crooks!," there is a pretty good chance that you will see a Google ad for Product X the next time you visit the page.

Edited Wed, 04/02/2014 - 06:09.

2.

Unfortunately since I didn't take the ad seriously I didn't pay much attention to the company name.

I visited the web site just to see what they had to say....typically they didn't say anything worth noting.

I didn't realize that the ads were partly aimed at me specifically based on my surfing habits. I thought it was just a random Google ad that really landed on the wrong website and I assumed that others would be seeing it as well.

The obvious irony was just too good to pass up.

Thanks for the reply and explanation.

Answered by Greg Smith

3.

Greg, I got a laugh at that ad too

4.

Well i must be lucky, because i only get adds with lightly covered ....
:p

Seriously, I get 90% of time CNC related ads, so i can confirm how scary google is.

Answered by Jin Kazama

5.

It was back this morning.

http://www.fifoil.com/hyfi-insulation/?gclid=CKv58rncwb0CFbFFMgodACoAcw

Hy-Fi Insulation System

AJ, my first thought when I saw it was WTH?? Then I laughed and said "gotta check this one out".

Jin, it is a bit disconcerting for sure to be specifically targeted for ads.

Low-Cost Hybrid Insulation Designed for High Performance Wall Systems

Answered by Greg Smith
Edited Wed, 04/02/2014 - 07:41.

6.

So the explanation is that most of the R-value comes from spray foam or fiberglass batts (not included).

Some of the R-value comes from air spaces -- but how are those air spaces (created by the perfectly parallel sheets of radiant barrier foil shown in the illustration) maintained over many years, without the foil warping?