Passive heat recovery - passive exhaust and supply

Ventive's passive ventilation and passive heat recovery solution

http://www.ventive.co.uk/passive-ventilation-heat-recovery-works/

www.ventive.co.uk

At first I wanted a fresh air intake warming solution for passive inlets that are balancing/supplying a hybrid, exhaust-only situation. I looked for a way to pre-warm the incoming air for free; to off-set the BTU's lost through the exhaust. There are some "warm wall" designs and "snaked" inlet piping designs that act as passive heat exchangers to incoming fresh air.

I wondered if harnessing stack-effect would work for energy free exhaust along with the passive inlets. Although that idea made the "ventilation system" passive at both ends, it would still cost to heat the make-up air.

So are there passive heat recovery ventilators to marry with the passive stack-effect air stream. As most of you know, HRV cores are passive; the energy is used to move the air, not make the heat exchanger work, per se.

I was skeptical. Could stack-effect enable optimal pressures; and not be messed up by wind and external building forces.

Then I ran across Ventive which claims to use stack effect, buoyancy and wind to move out stale air and move in pre-warmed fresh air by passing it through a passive HRV.

The Ventive S product was first designed for ventilation and heat recovery retrofits but they also have a solution using PVC piping for new construction: Ventive S+

http://www.ventive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Ventive-S+-Manual-v1...

Can a passive ventilation and heat recovery solution adequately perform when facing outdoor natural forces? It requires a roof penetration and the return is centralized; meaning decentralized passive make-up air inlets cannot be used.

Asked by flitch plate

1.

Flitch,
I have no experience with this; it's intriguing, but I can imagine several disadvantages. I look forward to reports from the field.

.

Ventive-S.jpg Ventive-S 2.jpg
Edited Thu, 04/03/2014 - 13:55.