GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Duplex house plans

user-1105327 | Posted in General Questions on

Does anyone know of any links to energy efficient duplex house plans? Preferably something compatible with passive house or similar low-energy paradigm… thanks in advance!
p.s. Martin posted a link to a similar question of mine but they were all SFD plans..

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. UBuildIt_Indy | | #1

Finding a duplex plan that is already detailed out for super high-efficiency may be quite a challenge. However, any duplex plan you find can then be detailed out afterwards for high-efficiency, in the construction drawings.

2. Kwater | | #2

Were you able to identify plans like this? I'm looking for something similar...

1. Expert Member
      MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

Kwater,

I've designed a lot of duplexes. Each one tailored to the site and the demands of the anticipated market or client. I'd strongly suggest hiring an architect or designer to do the same with your project.

If you don't want to do that, I'd pick any duplex design that suits your needs and take the detailing and specifications from any energy efficient house plans. As Allen said: There is nothing unique about duplexes that demands a separate set of energy efficient criteria.

2. Expert Member
      RICHARD EVANS | | #5

KWater,

Erik is a builder in Vancouver. He builds some pretty impressive passive houses. You might be able to reach out to him on Twitter @erikolofssoninc. I don't know him personally- but I follow his Twitter account because of some of the epic stuff he is doing. (Most recently he was installing 24" of exterior rigid mineral wool!)

There is a design firm in Nova Scotia that offers at least a couple pasivhouse duplex plans that may be of interest: https://www.passivedesign.ca/pages/plans

I like Malcolm's idea too. Fire/Sound party walls can be tricky so make sure you do your research or hire a pro. Or just come back to GBA and ask Malcolm! :-)

1. Expert Member
        MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #6

Hmmm - would that be the same idiot who ground his knuckle to the bone with a grinding disc today? Is that the Malcolm we are taking about?

1. Expert Member
          RICHARD EVANS | | #7

Haha!

Edit:
          (On a serious note- hope you're okay!)

1. Expert Member
            MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #8

Thanks Rick,

No I'm fine. Dumb but fine.

3. Expert Member
    Deleted | | #3

Deleted