Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

10 Answers

Household humidity

Lots of numbers. Thermostat reads 52% humidity, HRV control reads 49% humidity. The Hobo reads 56.5% relative humidity. The sling psychrometer has wet bulb 66, dry 72, which is 76% relative humidity. So how humid is this place?

Asked By Walter Gayeski | Jul 30 15
7 Answers

Anybody familiar with British Columbia building codes?

I am building a home in BC, and plan to use Lunos e2 for my HRV. There is a lot of stuff about ventilation and HRV in the latest code revision (Dec 2014, I believe). Is there, by any chance, anybody out there familiar with the BC codes that can tell me if I am going to experience issues trying to use the Lunos fans?

A couple things that I am concerned about (off the top of my head).

Asked By Stephen Youngquist | Jul 29 15
5 Answers

Is my uninsulated garage making my house hot?

I have an attached uninsulated garage with its own attic, is that why it is so hot in my Austin, TX house?

Asked By K C | Jul 16 15
16 Answers

Air Sealing - Tape, Sealant?

I am looking at the articles here about air sealing and most of them provide information such as where to seal but the products are not so easily determined. I am planning on taping either the OSB Seams before house wrap with 3M All Weather tape - or possibly only taping the house wrap seams. (as long as I get the right tape that doesn't allow problems with taped horizontal seams)

Asked By Nicholas C | Jul 29 15
2 Answers

Steel Quonset hut — 1 hour fire rating?

Hello,

Asked By J Choi | Jul 31 15
1 Answer

Mini split in the living room: Comfortable?

I would assume that putting a mini split right in front of a couch or chair would cause discomfort from the cold air in the summer and the blowing air in the winter? Is there a rule of thumb on how far away a mini split should be located from where people will be sitting?

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Jul 31 15
3 Answers

Reliability/durability of Mitsubishi vs. Fujitsu mini-split heat pumps?

I am looking into a 3-zone cold-climate heat pump for my zone 6A home in Vermont. The proposals I've received are for (a) Mitsubishi MXZ-3C30NAHZ and (b) Fujitsu AOU24RLXFZH.

Asked By Jonathan Teller-Elsberg | Jul 30 15
1 Answer

Anyone familiar with Insultex house wrap?

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this house wrap - http://www.insultexhousewrap.com/

They appear to be making some exaggerated claims and I am not certain that the R-value claimed would be possible.

Any thoughts?

Asked By Marcus Sheffer | Jul 31 15
13 Answers

How the heck was Pittsburgh, PA named a green city?!

I need some help finding a home builder in Pittsburgh, PA (preferable southwest PA).

My husband and I have had passive solar home plans drawn up and I would really like to build with SIPs. After researching everything... it just seems like building with solar passive strategies and conventionally framing is it, is like wrapping a diamond ring in the comics.

Asked By Melanie Beth Scott | Jun 12 15
5 Answers

Another crawl space...

I would like to improve upon the poly vapor barrier that exists on the dirt floor of my crawlspace. I have read the ‘crawlspace article’ penned by Martin but have some specific questions.

Asked By Rob Shuman | Jul 30 15
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!