Helpful? 0

Polyethylene quality and characteristics

Hi. I have come across various qualities of polyethylene for use under my slab. The prices vary considerably; from ~$120 to $280 for 10 mil 20'x100'. I have been told that thickness being equal, some brands will degrade in a very short period of time (matter of years), as well as off-gas significantly more. They claim that the type that is "agricultural/construction film" are cheap and not intended for under slab use. Is there truth to this, and should I shell out 65-75% more money for the "better" grade plastic? Thanks in advance.

Asked by Matthew Michaud
Posted Wed, 05/14/2014 - 13:11
Edited Wed, 05/14/2014 - 13:51

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Matthew,
As far as I know, the main reason that polyethylene degrades is UV exposure (sunlight).

Keep the polyethylene in the shade. Once it is covered with concrete, it should be fine. I have used 6 mil poly for the purpose, and I sleep well at night.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Wed, 05/14/2014 - 13:55
Edited Wed, 05/14/2014 - 14:15.

Helpful? 0

I have used boat shrink wrap which is darn good stuff just because I had some. I also laid generic black 6 mil on wet dirt in a crawlspace twenty years ago, was on it just this last month crawling about and it is like the day I installed it.

Answered by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a
Posted Thu, 05/15/2014 - 11:34

Other Questions in General questions

The differences between mass and insulation

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nathaniel G | Sep 15, 14

Best time to stop construction for winter..?

In General questions | Asked by Lucyna de Barbaro | Sep 20, 14

Options for high R-value above-grade walls (R-80)?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Tom Schmidt | Sep 19, 14

Thinking of going solar

In Green building techniques | Asked by Ron Davis | Sep 19, 14

Woodpeckers, Stucco + Exterior Foam with Rainscreen

In Green building techniques | Asked by Brett Sichello | Sep 20, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!