Damp spray cellulose in Los Angeles

Does anyone have a recommendation for a damp spray cellulose installer in the Los Angeles area?

Also, out of curiousity what is the going rate in your neck of the woods for damp spray cellulose (2x6 wall)?

Thanks in advance

Asked By Jack G. | Nov 4 12

I am considering getting solar panels on my roof

I am considering getting solar panels on my roof and have quotes from 2 different companies. Is there anywhere I can go to get help on determining which are the better panels?

Asked By Dave Sanda | Aug 31 15

Why is there condensation on the return ducts and mold in the attic as well 60% humidity throughout the home?

This home has since been remodeled, including all new metal duct work and insulation. The issue that we need to resolve is the high humidity in the house at about 60-65% even though the unit is running efficiently. There is quite a bit of condensation on the return ducts in the attic as well. We have had two reputable Heating and Cooling Contractors come to assess the situation to no avail. The owner attempted to contact the original Mechanical contractor, but has not been able to speak to anyone yet.

Asked By Jimmy Miller | Sep 1 15

Comments on wall design, please

Attached is an image of a wall system I've conceptualized. It combines ease of interior electrical, plumbing, and wall finishing work with the structural benefits of CMU construction, the air tightness and performance benefits of a REMOTE wall, and the maintenance benefits of EIFS.

Looking for feedback. Any pitfalls with this approach? Overkill?

Thanks.

Asked By Matt Culik | Aug 31 15

Attic Insulation Upgrade

I'm struggling with getting the correct answer on how to proceed with upgrading my attic insulation.

I live in Pittsburgh PA climate Zone 5A.
My existing attic space has batt insulation on the floor with no air barrier and is vented at the gable ends.

I would like to spray foam on the underneath of the roof deck sheathing in-between the truss joists and on the gable end walls to meet the required R38.

I'm struggling to understand if I should use open cell foam or closed cell foam.

Asked By Forrest Watson | Sep 1 15

XPS or PVC under base plate

I'm looking to start framing in our basement. The house is 15 years old, and did have some water leakage (some small puddles could form during big rains... We had crack injections done this fall to alleviate the issue), but no flooding yet (knock on wood).

I thought I read somewhere that you could use XPS insulation to put under the base plate of the wall. It seems like a good idea (a 1" insurance policy should the basement begin to flood).

Asked By Andrew Wayland | Feb 22 15

Is there a way to move forward without removing the exterior 1" XPS rigid foam, Tyvek, and windows?

Last February I started the project of adding an entire second story to our 1946 1,550 sq. ft. ranch home in Southern Wisconsin. It is on the border of WI and IL. It could be considered in the northern part of climate zone 5A or southern part of zone 6A.

Asked By Steven Bessel | Aug 30 15

Is a capillary break between the footing and foundation wall really necessary?

We are meeting a lot of resistance from local concrete contractors & structural engineers when we tell them that we want a capillary break between the footing and the foundation wall. Are there any documented cases of this capillary action being a source of moisture/ mold / finish material problems? Are there any scientific studies that compare the moisture levels in foundations walls with and without a capillary break? The capillary break makes sense to me intuitively, but nobody wants to pay for it or change their ways unless we can show them proof that it is necessary.

Asked By Eric Stear | Jul 31 14

Vented attic vs. a sealed, non-vented, airtight attic

I'm building a new home in Miami, Fla.

An insulation contractor advises me to eliminate the planned roof & soffit vents and seal the attic with foam.
What are the Pros and Cons for maintaining attiic ventilation, and eliminating it?

Asked By Calvin Smith | Sep 1 15

Insulating basement walls of old home in a cold climate

I live in a 1911 home in Duluth, Minnesota (Climate Zone 7A). I have started to insulate my basement walls to R-15 using 3 inches of XPS foam board. Because of the age of the home, our cold climate, and the presence of clay soils, the building inspector recommend that I remove the bottom two feet of insulation in the basement so that the walls are exposed near the basement floor to keep the concrete warm during the winter.

Asked By Brad Leick | Aug 31 15