Ice Damming ~ Solutions for this Situation ...

Some time back I've asked a question about my ice damming issue and received some good advice but had difficulty with local contractors; unskilled or untrustworthy. With time ticking and panic in my heart i went ahead and just got my roof resheeted (steel) but at least got all my soffit vents opened, ridge vent installed and the steel sheets installed with 1" to 2" strapping. Ice Damming still occurs, if not worse, and so i'm back for an updated solution to my existing situation.

Asked By Jake Rabe | Feb 16 18

How exterior air seal at chimney to wall interface? Chimney spalling.

Using a FLIR One, I've found a major source of air leakage into my house from around the fireplace mantel. Using a homemade blower door and a smoke pen I've discovered that the air is in fact entering from the exterior chimney to sheathing interface. While I've been able to find extensive discussion and documentation on this site how to handle through attic air gaps for a chimney, it's been less clear to me how to handle this detail on the exterior wall to chimney brick intersection.

Asked By Mike McLaine | Feb 18 18

Being "green" in a public restroom.

What is "greener"? To dry ones hands with the hot air blower, or to use a paper towel?

Asked By KEVIN ZORSKI | Feb 18 18

Advice on trimming out exterior light fixture where pancake box sticks out too far?

Hi guys,

I have a few exterior light fixtures I need to install but the existing pancake boxes are sticking out over an 1" from the siding.

I attached a few photos I found online that are identical to my situation.

The pancake box is installed in the wall so it cannot be removed.

What would you guys recommend I do here? Are there are deep trim boxes I can mount over the pancake box to water seal it? And then install the light fixture?

Or do I need to custom make one out of a wood block?

Any ideas you guys have would be great.

Asked By MichaelBa | Feb 18 18

Basement vapour barrier

Hi,

Asked By user-6994354 | Feb 17 18

insulating a new block house

Like all questions (at least here in Citrus County, Florida) this question is also has to consider building codes.
I am planning to build a block home. I would like to take advantage of the thermal mass capabilities by insulating the exterior rather than the interior. Keep in mind I am building on a shoestring (and a worn one at that). I would like to put foam panels on the wall with horizontal furring strips (to attach metal siding), or foam that can be stucco'd over. Will I need tyvek too? Open to suggestions for method and materials.
Jim

Asked By D James Fox | Feb 18 18

Insulating a raised slab

Alright, so here’s one that I can’t find in the great treasure troves of this site: how to handle insulating my raised slab on our new house. Quick details on the project: climate zone 6, 3500sqft, two story, zip-r external insulation/sheeting (R6), fiberglass batts in 2x6 walls, combination vented roof w/ R60 cellulose and unvented roof with R50 foam, low U 4th surface fiberglass windows, and a combination of slab on grade and vented crawl w/ R48 foam. The concrete will be polished as finish floor in slab areas. Heating is entirely mini-split, no in floor radiant.

Asked By User-6804212 | Feb 17 18

Crawlspace Beam Layout

Hi Friends,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking for some feedback on my plans on fixing some floor bounce/sag.

House layout is pretty simple, 62x32 with one corner consisting of a 20x20 slab garage. Floor Joists are 2x10s, spaced 16" on center. They span almost 16'. The house has long been neglected, and the crawl was filled with moisture for years. Poor landscape drainage, washing machine leak, and a dryer vented to the crawlspace led to sagging floor joists and a main beam with rotten ends. Plus plenty of mold.

Asked By alexallo | Feb 16 18

Branch box location question

Branch Box for Mini-split system serving upstairs living quarters. The manufacturer says: don't install in a hot and humid location for long periods of time. They also say: Branch Box is indoor use only. I'm in CZ 3, central Oklahoma. Can I put this in an attic in my location? I would say no. Should I try to get it inside a mechanical room location down on the first floor(near 1st floor ceiling/2nd floor floor)? I would still have to run all the branch lines through the floor and up the walls to the attic and then to the air handler locations.

Asked By Inger Peters | Oct 27 17

Slab on Grade in Climate Zone 6

Hey all,

So watching a bunch of Matt Risinger, he's always talking about slab on grade builds, and how we have basements in the far north etc. I know these topics have been brought up before.

I'm in Climate zone 6, Toronto. I'm designing a 100sqft satellite building, or you could call it a shed with all the bells and whistles of plumbing, elec, heating etc.

I'd like to do a frost protected slab on grade for this to incorporate infloor radiant hydronic heating. The slab will essentially act as the radiator, and be the base for the Insulated perimeter wood stud walls.

Asked By Jamie B | Feb 17 18