Best furring strip over exterior foam to hold Hardie siding?

Ok, this has come up before and I want to get final recommendations from those who have done the work in the field as my foam board is almost finished.

I have attached 2.5" of recycled EPS to the exterior over my drain wrap. Windows are INNIES and are flashed well. As a point of fact, the Tyvek brand tape worked and adheres excellent to the EPS. I have some 3M all weather tape but the Tyvek tape works great and is easier to work with.

Asked By Joe Suhrada | Apr 26 16

exterior finish on 1850s farmhouse

I've got an 1850s farm house I'm in the process of renovating. The house needs considerable exterior painting.

Do you all have recommendations on the best exterior finishes for an old house like this? I could shingle instead of painting, for example, or strip and stain.

I'm hoping to create the most energy efficient old house possible with minimal future upkeep. Paint seems to need redoing quite frequently, and other possibilities would be welcome.

Ilmari

Asked By DJ Polojarvi | Apr 30 16

How exactly does this Carrier ERV work? Is it any good?

Hello, I'm working with a contractor putting together a plan for air sealing, insulation and a new furnace. For ventilation, he is suggesting a Carrier "comfort" series ERV. This unit has no separate control panel, it simply runs whenever the furnace fan is running, and it connects ONLY to the return trunk of the furnace system, either directly to the furnace cabinet or the return plenum/duct.

http://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/ven...

I found the install manual here:

Asked By Zach H | Apr 30 16

Is this my best foundation choice?

First off, Green Building Advisor has been invaluable in my research to design my future home and have found it well worth the membership cost. So thank you, to all you who have made this site what it is.

I am planning on building a 1700 sq ft ranch style straw bale house near Cortez Co (climate zone 5B). Currently I am sketching up layouts, making lots of notes on building techniques, choosing home fixtures (doors/windows), HVAC systems and researching different build options, before I take my plans to an architect so he can refine and incorporate them.

Asked By Ken Hodge | Apr 29 16

Pond pebbles instead of crushed gravel for the driveway - what to do??

Our general contractor received a wrong kind of gravel for our big driveway install. We have 1500 sf to build and 1/2 of it is a concrete driveway and 1/2 permeable pavers. We have 2/3 of the total rock needed already on site. And that rock is pond pebble instead of limestone gravel that would have properly compacted under the driveway. Supposedly this cannot be returned. What are we to do?

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Apr 30 16

Perlite for walls vs Dense pack Cellulose

Hello-
Has anyone used loose fill perlite for wall cavity insulation on wood framed exterior wall. I am interested in the least toxic insulation for the walls. But I am a little concerned about the moisture retention capabilities of perlite. Does the perlite dry out quickly in a normal framed wall?

Also, does dense pack cellulose have less capacity for moisture retention?

Lastly, has anyone used loose fill perlite for attic insulation.

Asked By edward kramer | Apr 30 16

Is there a code requirement for residential boiler piping insulation, if so what is the R value for pipes in conditioned space,

and unconditioned space, We live near Baltimore, MD

Asked By Brantley Gent | Apr 30 16

Cellulose comparisons

My new construction will be getting dense pack in the walls. I've been looking at National Fiber's

Asked By daniel f. vellone | Apr 30 16

roofing and insulation on old house

I have an 1850s farmhouse I'm renovating. To insure good insulation, I had the attic rafters spray foamed with closed cell foam about four inches deep.

I'm trying to plan for an eventual re-roofing, and I wanted to know if there are any best practices I should keep in mind at that stage for eleminating any issues that might arise from the spray foaming. The old roof has a few layers of shingles on it.

Is there a recommended roofing type for this situation? Any ventilation issues I can helpfully prevent moving forward?

Ilmari

Asked By DJ Polojarvi | Apr 30 16

High humidity in spray foam attic

Hello all,

Last fall I had my attic spray foamed. Warm temperatures have arrived and I am experiencing higher than anticipated temperatures and humidity in my attic.

I have 3 main questions (pertinent details follow):

1. Is a semi-conditioned attic RH in the 60 - 70% range cause for concern?
2. Should my attic be 10+ degrees warmer than the interior? It will get much warmer here in the coming months and I am worried that the attic temperature difference will grow.

Asked By Nic Smith | Apr 30 16