GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Energy efficient heating and cooling questions

stryped1 | Posted in General Questions on

My house was built around 1998. I have the same split system heating/air conditioner with propane heat and water heater.

My system works fine. I actually prefer a propane water heater with a family of four because it can keep up better and still works during a power outage. (I live in the country)

I am wanting to reduce as much as possible utility costs. I was debating installing a more efficient unit myself.

I would really like a geothermal. I have the land for the lines and have available a trencher to bury the lines, but the units are expensive and difficult to purchase myself. There is no way to afford having a contractor do it.

Would I really save that much upgrading from a 1998 unit to a more modern unit? My house is 1500 square feel downstairs. I have a 50×10 feet bonus room upstairs with a small heat pump that is about 5 years old.

My house has 2×4 walls, filled with r-13. Ceiling is insulated. I live in zone 4 southern ky. Summers get humid and hot.

My roof is black shingles and is a steep roof. (The kind you typically see with dormers but I don’t have any). I am assuming I gain a lot of heat through the roof. (Which has had me thinking about if a sheet of radiant barrier between the roof trusses would be a good idea).

Anyway I am getting some tax return money coming back and looking for ways to lower my energy bills.

Oh by the way my house is vinyl sided with osb walls.

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Don,
    The first step for you is to hire an energy auditor or home energy rater (preferably one certified by BPI or RESNET) to conduct a home energy audit. At the end of the audit, you will be presented with a report that suggests energy-efficiency improvements for your home. The report will list the most cost-effective retrofit measures, and will be customized for your home and climate.

For more information on this topic, see Energy Upgrades for Beginners.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |