Best way to fix insulation problem in cathedral ceiling? Please help!

I built my chalet about 8 yrs ago and was up in the attic and noticed black water stains (probably mold).
after many days and night researching what was wrong, i believe my issue is insulation and air leakage.
i have called all the insulation and roofing businesses (not many in this area) and each says its the others issue.

this site has been the most informative, but i cant seem to find any article or videos on how to add or change insulation in a cathedral ceiling after construction has been done.

Asked By Aaron H | Jan 31 16

Geothermal and SDHV in new ICF home

We are in the process of building a new home in Climate Zone 5. It is an ICF [insulated concrete form] construction from basement foundation to gable.

I am intending to use a SDHV [small duct, high velocity] system for forced air and heating in conjunction with a closed loop ground source heat pump.

What I am trying to understand is the impact to efficiency caused by my desire for SDHV on the heat pump options side of life.

Asked By Esteban Carlos | Feb 4 16

Will this exterior wall system work for my tiny house?

I live in South Dakota in zone 6a (Sioux Falls). In a few months time I will be constructing a tiny house on wheels using 18 gauge structural studs. Starting in the wall cavity will be sprayed closed cell foam. On the exterior sides of the studs (and any other exposed metal areas- the steel trailer) I plan on using strips of 1 inch thick xps rigid foam with a compressive strength of 60 lbs/square inch. Also I will use steel strapping all around the outside to give it some shear strength and prevent racking.

Asked By Damon Beck | Feb 7 16

WooHoo!

I've been lurking here for awhile, doing what I could to make my home more efficient as money came in. As it was I've lowered my heating bills by about $850 a year before I started doing the more major stuff this year. Finally I had a home energy assessment performed, completed the suggested upgrades and then had the post retro-fit assessment completed just now.

ACH50 of 1.62 in an 11 year old house, and an EnerGuide rating of 85!

Asked By Calum Wilde | Feb 8 16

Raised-heel trusses can be annoying

We installed raised-heel trusses with bottom chord overhangs on our house. The top of the top chord is 20" above our top plate. According to the 2012 International Residential Code for seismic zones or zones designated for winds of 100 mph, raised heel trusses more than 15.25" have to be blocked and braced.

Asked By Jimmy Nguyen | Feb 6 16

Wall assembly

I am building a new home in zone 6. I have a question regarding insulation in the window wells. I have 4 inches of xps externally. Of course I do not have insulation inside the window well area. That leaves the header area and a small amount around the window uninsulated. Should I use an internal insulation in the stud bays around this area? One window well is in a bathroom. Should a smart membrane be installed in this area?

Asked By Charles Cloud | Feb 4 16

Trying to warm up an uninsulated concrete garage floor

Kenora Ontario Canada P9N0E7
Climate zone 7

Background- I have a 24 x 30 ft garage with 2x6 wood framed walls (R20 fiberglass batts in stud bays) and a raised heel truss attic (8 ft walls) the ceiling has R50 blown fiberglass.
The man door is located on the south wall and the two 7x9 insulated overhead doors are on the north wall...the ridge of the 6/12 pitched roof runs E-W.
The concrete pad is a 4 inch thickened edge slab over 6 inches of compacted stone; the earth is well drained and slopes away rapidly in all directions.
I use 1/2 the building for parking and 1/2 for a shop.

Asked By Tim Brown | Feb 7 16

Insulating a 1890 balloon-frame Chicago house

I have a couple questions about my 1890 balloon-frame house.

It is a wood balloon frame house with 1" thick sheathing boards 8-10-12 inches wide. The original siding is a wood clap siding with a paper under it - later the house was covered in a type of tar paper and wire mesh to add a 1 1/2" cement stucco in a brick pattern (one piece shell) -- to give you an idea of outside make up.

I took off some plaster walls in my office to replace with drywall since they were starting to fall off and while those 2 walls are open I figured I would put some insulation in there before the drywall.

Asked By David Post | Feb 4 16

Air drying Ponderosa pine

I live in SW Colorado near a sawmill that has a lot of reject 6x6 and bigger ponderosa pine posts and beams that are too warped or twisted too much to be used. Normally these are cut up for firewood but I want to slice them into 3/4" thick end grain tiles, air dry and dimension them and use them for residential flooring. I'll use a moisture meter of course but would like to have a rough idea of time needed for air drying before I start.

Asked By Jack Tally | Feb 7 16