insulation around a center chimney cape?

How would one insulate around the chimney in the attached pics? Would I start at the ceiling and just put a bunch of Roxul around it? How could air sealing work? Fireblock foam?

Bonus question: Is it too late to double stud these walls?

https://picasaweb.google.com/107236736120604165034/Farmcape2?authkey=Gv1...

Asked By stephen edge | Mar 4 15

Vented & unvented in same roof plane?

Hopefully you can all see this attached glass-house view of my proposed roof.

http://i.imgur.com/rEkixfa.jpg

The open attic at the bottom right of the photo allows plenty of room to super-insulate, same too with the open attic above the 2nd floor ceiling, up in the top left/center of the photo. The sloped roof though poses a problem for super-insulation levels, just not enough depth. What I'd like to minimize is a path of least thermal resistance which would circumvent the high insulation levels in the open attics and favor "Easy" migration through the sloped roof section.

Asked By Alex House | Mar 3 15

new home questions

I plan on retiring to BC in a few years and building " a pretty good home" . I have been reading almost everything on the GBA web site, very informative. Really appreciate all the blogs by Martin and all the others .

Asked By bert matter | Mar 4 15

Energy Efficient Home - A Few Things you'll Be Able To To Save Energy At Home

When referring to home improvement, one belonging to the first questions that it is advisable to ask yourself is if you're planning on selling the house soon. In case the answer is yes, then everything you actually do should be solely market the of your house focus only on the critical maintenance items and the areas with highest presence. If you are not selling soon, then five more leeway to design in a way that is better to really taste.

Asked By Palma Galloway | Mar 4 15

Why not skip the sheathing?

I am just a layperson who wants to build a pretty good home and have been considering two wall types, but as I'm reading, I feel like I’m missing something regarding the sheathing.

Asked By Jonathan deHart | Mar 4 15

Remote cabin exterior wall design

Questions on remote cabin exterior wall design. I am building a small cabin, off grid in a remote location - Yukon Canada (cold dry climate). Not for full time habitation, but I suppose that could change in my future or with a with a different owner. Wood heat only, small solar to run LED lights, 12v stereo, no running water. Dimensions 16' x 24' (2 stories). I would like to minimize the exterior wall thickness as the interior space is not especially large to begin with. Cost and ease of construction are major planning considerations.

Asked By J. Bishop | Mar 4 15

Will adding rigid foam insulation to the inside and outside of my d-log house cause mold?

I am planning to add rigid foam insulation to the outside of my old leaky d-log house and adding douglas fir slab siding with chink. My electrician would like for us to fir out the inside to avoid having to router out chases for new wiring. If I add foam insulation (open or cloased cell) to the inside will I risk mold on the logs? The house is located in the upper Arkansas valley in central Colorado, zone 6 I believe.

Asked By Judith Blythe | Mar 3 15

Will a smart vapor retarder offer enough moisture protection to be used for bathroom walls?

We're planning to use MemBrain for an interior vapor retarder throughout our two story house currently under construction. The wall assembly is designed to dry to the interior. We want to limit moisture diffusion into the walls for the short duration of high humidity during showers while allowing walls to dry if sheathing accumulates moisture during heating season.

Asked By Dave Brooks | Mar 4 15

Airspace for solar barrier

I am adding a solar barrier between layers of an alluminum roof. The existing roof is over a covered florida room. The roof system has a lower layer that is also the ceiling. The lower layer is connected to the top layer by 3 inch alumuinum I beams. The roof is insulated with porous styromfoam which is noisy when it rains and does not stop any heat penetration at all. Impossible to aircondition! I purchased a solar barrier to place between the layers of room.

Asked By Phillip Ragan | Mar 4 15

Connecting ICF Foundation Wall + Timber Frame / SIP?

I'm planning to build a timber frame home soon (eastern white pine and SIPs) and have received a decent quote for an ICF basement.

I like the idea of efficiency in this combination and know that others have built this way but am a bit confused about how they connect? We are responsible for the foundation and first floor decking before the timbers arrive.

Does any one have construction details they could share for this (ICF wall, sill plate, first floor deck, post, blocking, and SIP positioning)? If not can any of you share your experiences with this?

Asked By Jeremy Mayhew | Mar 3 15