Air Scrubber Plus

I am considering installing an Air Scrubber Plus system on Zone 1 for my house. I have a coworker who has installed one and says it has worked great for treating indoor air (particularly cooking smells). I was curious if this system is worth the money? Is it worth it given the lifecycle cost - replacement of the bulb (almost as much as the system)?

Just looking for anyone who knows more about UV bulb filtration, the risk vs. reward, and in particular about this manufacturer and their product.

The link to the air scrubber plus is here: www.airscrubberplus.com

Thank you!

Asked By Shaun Kennedy | Sep 11 14

What is the best detail at a slab on grade pour through to insulate the slab?

Or is it just a weak point that can't be avoided?
I have 2" of rigid insulation under the slab and 1" at the L block.

Asked By David A Flannery | Sep 23 14

Improving R value of 2x4 wall in renovation with interior foam board...

Hi gang,

Doing a renovation in MA, USA, and I need a little help... There's a 2x4 wall that needs insulating, and I'm not redoing the exterior of the building. It would be easiest for me to get the wall dense-packed with cellulose, then go over the whole thing with 2" foil faced foam... but I have a couple questions...

Asked By Eric Nash | Sep 23 14

Has anyone used the shim screws and EPDM gaskets made by Conservation Technology for installing windows?

Is the technique easy to learn? How many shims crews would you use on a window?

Asked By David A Flannery | Aug 18 14

Proper Way to insulate an old attic

I am helping to insulate a friend's attic in Milwaukee, Climate Zone 6. The house is 100 years old, balloon frame with stucco. Attic floor is lathe and plaster. We would like to remove the fiberglass insulation, clean the attic floor, seal holes/top plate, then spray 2" closed cell spray foam to air seal the lathe and plaster. After that fill in blown cellulose to R-60.

Asked By Justin Lee | Sep 23 14

Insulation for dormer with thinner studs

I am in the process of building a small cabin in Climate zone 7-8. All the walls are 2x6 and I am planning on using Roxul to fill the stud bays. Exterior has no foam just 1/2 plywood and Tyvek. I will be installing a rainscreen and using some sort of cement board siding.

Asked By Andrew David | Sep 23 14

The differences between mass and insulation

The "I installed more attic insulation and now my AC runs more" thread got me thinking about the mass effect a bit.

Asked By Nathaniel G | Sep 15 14

American Made Passive Haus certified windows

Hello All,

Asked By Bob Holloway | Sep 23 14

Insulation — basement rim joist

Hello

I want to insulate the rim joists of an old home. I have caulked the joists due to openings in the wood from age. I don't want to use rigid board/spray foam. I was going to use batt insulation (unfinished basement), but wonder if there is something that is not toxic or contains fiberglass, etc.. something i can cut and shove in the openings and just leave it there. I don't plan on using any plastic, vapor barriers, etc..

Thanks.

Asked By Dave Mac | Sep 23 14

Dryer ducting — materials requirements

Hi all,

I've been finding so much mixed information regarding this all over the net. Some places specify only rigid galvanized steel is approved for in wall and attic, other places I find aluminum or galvanized is approved.

Asked By Joe G | Sep 22 14