Open cell foam contacting hot water heater flue

I have open cell foam being put into my attic. My hot water heater is in the garage below, but where the flue goes through the rafters, is it OK for the open cell foam to contact around the flue? If not, how much of a gap is left around it? I guess they would have to just cut that gap after foaming since the foam isnt going to just cooperate....

Asked By John Sexton | Jul 27 16

Banging noise from thermal expansion/contraction

My dwelling has cathedral ceilings and we have a problem with thermal expansion/contraction causing a "banging" noise after sunrise and at sunset. I have a high moisture reading in the morning and but the attic temperature is close to the outside temperature and by mid-day, the spread between the attic and outside increases to around 20 degrees and the moisture reading will goes from wet to dry. At the recommendation of 3 roofers, I had ridge vents added. The overhang is only about 10 inches but has vinyl venting all the way across. There is no venting on the side eves.

Asked By David Burns | Jul 27 16

Choose Slightly Higher HSPF or save $ upfront as payoff is ~7 years.

I'm looking to buy a mini-split for my business office. Seems simple enough but I have 3 basic choices.
15 SEER 9 HSPF at base price for either 115v/230v, simple inverter
21.5 SEER 9.8 HSPF(IV) bp+$300 for 230v, upgraded inverter
21.5 SEER 11.2 HSPF(IV) bp+$320 for 115v, upgraded inverter
I've no problem installing 230v vs 115v and it's only 5' from the panel.

First, is it even worth paying the $300+ for about a $40/year savings? 9 vs 9.8 or 11.2,

Asked By Karl Koning | Jul 27 16

Minisplit retrofit in Climate Zone 2

I'm trying to figure out how to use a minisplit system on a retrofit project. I got a quote from an HVAC company (recommended by the equipment rep), but some of their opinions don't make sense...which brings me here today.

The HVAC company proposed 4 zones with a 3 Ton compressor outside:
1 ducted 9k unit in attic, serving Guest Bath, Guest Bed, and Office
1 ducted 9k unit in attic serving Master Bed and Bath
1 9k ductless serving kitchen
1 9k ductless serving living

Asked By Green Heron | Jul 26 16

Zone 6 dew point

Would a 2x6 wall with:
R-23 Roxul Batts in the cavity,

Exterior layers of:
OSB sheeting,
1" R-6 R Max rigid insulation (taped),
R-6 Insultex House Wrap (taped)
And finished with stucco,
eliminate the dew point problem in a Zone-6?

I called Insultex and they recommended their product be installed over the rigid insulation

Dave

Asked By David Dunn | Jul 27 16

Insulating a raised floor over an old concrete slab

Hi, I have a house in Seattle. The back portion of the house has a 60 year old 600 square foot slab with approximately 2' deep footers. The ground slopes gently away from the foundation, and the roof overhangs each side by about 2-3'. Let's assume there is no gravel, sand, plastic, or insulation underneath the slab. There is no plastic or insulation on the exterior perimeter of the foundation either. The foundation perimeter vertically extends approximately 1/2"-1" above the slab. While the perimeter is level, the concrete slab is uneven, hence the 1/2"-1" inch variance.

Asked By Jo Lee | Jul 8 16

Exterior walls to meet code without gypsum?

Maybe this has been discussed here. Feel free to link me to other threads that I haven't seen if this is fully covered elsewhere.

I'm not a fan of drywall. A quick rundown with no real surprises: it used to be cheaper; now it's not. It also takes plenty of work and more money to make it look nice. It's heavy but also very breakable. Even when you don't break it, it's messy. Etc, etc. I *am* a fan of 3/4 plywood, which is less breakable, more durable, and looks nice.

Asked By Minneapolis Disaster, 6B | Jul 22 16

Closed-cell spray foam insulation under a sunporch

We installed 2 inches of spray foam closed cell insulation on the underside of a sun porch which is open on a sides underneath. My husband wants to store his riding lawn mower underneath which means he will have to drive it under the porch and start it up under the porch. I understand that this foam is highly flammable. Please advise if this is safe or what we can do to ensure safety of the storage of the riding mower. Thank you.

Denise P

Asked By Denise Phelps | Jul 27 16

Aeroseal duct sealant

Hello. My heating and air tech recommended aeroseal to repair leaking duct-work in our walls. We are going to replace duct-work in our attic but looking to this product so we don't have to tear out walls. Does anyone have any experience with this product? It says that is is low voc and a non-volatile vinyl acetate. I realize that sealing small holes is good for using less electricity and producing less dust which in turn produces better air quality but if aeroseal off gasses and eventually degrades overtime then am I just breathing in a different type of pollutant?

Asked By Lori Wilson | Jul 27 16

Looking for design software recommendations

Hi -

I'm a new member and I'm looking for recommendations for relatively easy-to-use design software (I did try searching the site but didn't find anything discussing that). My first task will be a simple floor plan so I can ask the good folks here for advice on placing mini-splits. Further down the road, I'd like to be able to draw out details for roof and wall assemblies for the retrofits I hope to do. Any then maybe a tiny house (or at least a tiny shed) in the future.

Asked By Nickolas Van Kleeck | Jul 23 16