Minimal maintenance Grout

Hello All,

Tried searching the archives but couldn't find anything. Looking to get some info on grout that requires minimal maintenance.

My tile guy uses "TEC grout" but I have heard good things about " The Power Grout" by AccuColorEFX which I think is Epoxy mixed or something like that.

Possible for GBA experts give us their expert feedback?

Thanks

Beenash

Asked By beenash khan | Aug 1 15

Is it OK for a basement floor slab on slab edge on only 3 sides?

I am having a new house built and when I looked at the foundation there was a floor slab edge only on 3 sides and when I called the general contractor he told me the concrete contractor had already poured the floor and said it was all fine. the rest of the concrete work looks fine, but missing the slab edge on one side worries me and I don't know what to do???

Asked By Steve May | Jul 30 15

Anybody familiar with British Columbia building codes?

I am building a home in BC, and plan to use Lunos e2 for my HRV. There is a lot of stuff about ventilation and HRV in the latest code revision (Dec 2014, I believe). Is there, by any chance, anybody out there familiar with the BC codes that can tell me if I am going to experience issues trying to use the Lunos fans?

A couple things that I am concerned about (off the top of my head).

Asked By Stephen Youngquist | Jul 29 15

What vapor barrier should be used with interior / exterior insulation?

I'm probably looking to build a house in Kentucky, IECC Zone 4 (not marine.) My general goal is durable, economical, energy efficiency. I'm currently thinking cellulose filled wall cavities with exterior foam or mineral wool sufficient to keep the sheathing warm. The structure will be air conditioned.

What sort of vapor barrier is called for, if any? I could imagine a fully breathable structure with Roxul, or a tightly sealed barrier under foam. Are there particular merits to any solution?

(I'm also interested in general comments on this approach.)

Thanks for the advice,

--J

Asked By John Ranson | Aug 1 15

Household humidity

Lots of numbers. Thermostat reads 52% humidity, HRV control reads 49% humidity. The Hobo reads 56.5% relative humidity. The sling psychrometer has wet bulb 66, dry 72, which is 76% relative humidity. So how humid is this place?

Asked By Walter Gayeski | Jul 30 15

Is my uninsulated garage making my house hot?

I have an attached uninsulated garage with its own attic, is that why it is so hot in my Austin, TX house?

Asked By K C | Jul 16 15

Air Sealing - Tape, Sealant?

I am looking at the articles here about air sealing and most of them provide information such as where to seal but the products are not so easily determined. I am planning on taping either the OSB Seams before house wrap with 3M All Weather tape - or possibly only taping the house wrap seams. (as long as I get the right tape that doesn't allow problems with taped horizontal seams)

Asked By Nicholas C | Jul 29 15

Steel Quonset hut — 1 hour fire rating?

Asked By J Choi | Jul 31 15

Mini split in the living room: Comfortable?

I would assume that putting a mini split right in front of a couch or chair would cause discomfort from the cold air in the summer and the blowing air in the winter? Is there a rule of thumb on how far away a mini split should be located from where people will be sitting?

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Jul 31 15

Reliability/durability of Mitsubishi vs. Fujitsu mini-split heat pumps?

I am looking into a 3-zone cold-climate heat pump for my zone 6A home in Vermont. The proposals I've received are for (a) Mitsubishi MXZ-3C30NAHZ and (b) Fujitsu AOU24RLXFZH.

Asked By Jonathan Teller-Elsberg | Jul 30 15