HPWH, HRV, bathroom vent, stove-top vent, make-up air, and balancing house ventilation

So ventilation or rather balanced ventilation seems so distant, especially when using a comprehensive ventilation strategy for all the appliances that need ventilation.

The house will be built in zone 6A, and is all electric, with PV - hoping for Net Zero.

Asked By brad hardie | Apr 9 15

Building my own home in North Dakota

Hello, I've been lurking on this website for a few months and have found the information to be invaluable. I live in central North Dakota (technically Zone 7 and about ~9500 HDD) and am currently building my own house. My family and I plan on living here for many decades, so I'm very focused on building an efficient and comfortable home. I am also trying to keep a reasonable budget and simple design. The house will be split entry (lower level is half underground and half above ground) with approximately 1200sq ft. per level. The foundation has already been poured using ICFs.

Asked By Adam Emter | Apr 19 15

is it a good idea to condition crawl space instead of insulating it

what would be better for a crawl space/sleepers to insulate or to do a parameter insulation and condition the area with the house system
thanks in advance

Asked By Shlomo drexler | Apr 20 15

Laying out mini-splits for a new home

I have a new home in the design stage and have been working with with my HVAC sub and the wholesaler to layout and locate mini-splits for the project. The house will be 2550 sq.ft. on a slab with R40 walls, R75 ceiling and very tight. We are in zone 5, floor plan is attached. We will be installing an ERV for fresh air.

The HVAC guy and the wholesaler want to put a head in each bedroom as well as the entry, office, family room and great room and run them off of 2 separate outdoor units. Their concern is to provide uniform temps throughout the house.

Asked By Terry | Apr 17 15

Ductless minisplit question

What models are available that will work at the lowest temperatures, it would be for a house in zone 4 (close to 5), about 4500HDD, at a design temp of -5F (-22C). The owner would likely keep the house temp at about 15C all winter, and the house probably has a heating load in the 20-30k range (at room temp so less at 15C).

Cost is of course a consideration, its an open concept two floor house with cathedral ceiling and unfinished basement,

Asked By Alan B | Apr 20 15

Flooring questions

Hi guys,
I just did the flooring in the basement, and on a different forum in the midst off a question got told off for the flooring I did.

I did concrete slab, 6 mil poly, 1 inch XPS, 1/2 inch OSB.

I was planning to put floor finishings on top. However I was told that it needs to be redone or else the wood will rot.

Does what I did look that bad? Is there a way out of it short of a re-do?

Thanks

Asked By sr kod | Jan 27 15

Densglass & Stucco

Can one apply EIFS or stucco directly to DenGlass or does one need to treat DensGlass like wood/OSB sheathing?

Can DensGlass be used on a soffit with it directly being applied to the OSB sheathing?

Asked By Peter L | Apr 19 15

Hardwood flooring question

Have about 3000 sq-ft area that needs to be covered. We would prefer Bazillion Cherry but not sure whether we want pre or on site finish?

Pre-finish:

Pros: Factory durable finish and the beveled edges which is what we like.

Cons: Shorter/inconsistent plank lengths

On site finish:

Pros: Longer plank lengths

Cons: Finish depends on the installer but might not be as good as pre-finish

Questions:

What finish (on site or pre-finish) and what time of surface finish (oil or water based) do you guys advice?

Would appreciate any and all feedback?

Thanks

Asked By Beenash Khan | Apr 19 15

Should I consider using waterproof concrete for my foundation?

I have been looking carefully at my options for waterproofing the basement foundation of my future house in Vermont. I expect that the foundation will experience periods of hydrostatic pressure, so I am looking for the best waterproofing system with reasonable costs (e.g. up to $4000). I will, of course, install footing drains and a free draining layer on the outside of the foundation, and until recently I was planning to use a professionally applied elastomeric spray-on waterproofing product.

Asked By Timothy Denny | Apr 19 15

Request for comments on this wall mock-up.

CZ 6B - SW Colorado - 7000'

Asked By Chuck Jensen | Apr 18 15