Ductless heat pumps and conditioned crawl space

Any suggestions for using the two together? I'm intrigued by the efficiency of the DHP's, but don't know how I can get some of the conditioned air into the crawl space without auxiliary fans or such. Thank you for your help.

Asked By Philip Joyal | Oct 5 15

Mini-split + heat pump water heater OR geothermal cool/heat + water heating?

Dear All,
I have read a number of articles on this forum and most seem to favor ductless mini-splits over geothermal. I believe peopel have said performance may be neck and neck while up front costs probably favor the mini-split.

However, what happens when water heating enters the equation? Some background:

Asked By Gina Jasso | Oct 4 15

Sidewall Dense Pack Cellulose - Many cavities full of scrap drywall

Hi everyone,

I had posted this on the HomeImprovement subreddit, and was directed this way.

Anyone out there have any experience with retrofitting dense pack cellulose?

I've got a 66 brick ranch home with no insulation in the walls. I'm preparing to remedy that this week. I picked up my 1200 pounds of cellulose over the weekend and I've got a reservation for an Intec Force 2 blower.

Asked By Brandon McWilliams | Oct 5 15

Anyone familiar with Insultex house wrap?

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this house wrap - http://www.insultexhousewrap.com/

They appear to be making some exaggerated claims and I am not certain that the R-value claimed would be possible.

Any thoughts?

Asked By Marcus Sheffer | Jul 31 15

Solar hot water system with oil heat, one hot water tank or two?

I'm wondering if someone could help me. I am very new to the site so I apologize if I have missed the answer to this question in the archives.

Asked By Audrey Considine | Oct 5 15

Any one have experience with Chilltrix equipment?

A client has asked me to evaluation Chilltrix HVAC systems:http://www.chiltrix.com/small-chiller-home.html.

It appears to be an inverter driven mini split style system that uses a chiller rather than a condenser. I am assuming that it uses and expels significant amounts of water as it does not use a refrigerant, but their documentation is not very specific.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Asked By Carl Seville, GBA Advisor | Oct 4 15

vapor barrier in attic?

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Oct 4 15

Vapor barrier on DIY walk-in cooler?

Hello, I need someone to answer a simple question for. I have searched the web and gotten conflicting answers.

I'm building a 15X20 walk-cooler that will be kept between 35-40 degrees F. This is for storing poultry eggs on a egg production farm in Milton Freewater, Oregon. (NE Oregon)

Three walls will be inside the larger barn structure, which will be kept between 60-80 degrees F, the fourth cooler wall is formed by the exterior barn wall, facing west.

The design completed so far is as follows;

Asked By Mahlon | Oct 4 15

Value of Phase Change materials

Our passive solar house was completed in June of this year. I designed it using principles learned on this web site and Fine Home Building magazine. I followed somewhat the Pretty Good rules found on this site and a great deal of input from the Energy Nerd blog.

Location is Bellingham, Wa north of Seattle right on the Canadian border.
10-20-40-60 insulation.
Triple glazed windows with a good solar gain. Approx 8% window to floor ratio.
Overhangs to provide appropriate shading. South facing.
Double wall, advanced framing. ACH 1.0.
HRV and a mini-split.

Asked By Stephen Carlton | Oct 4 15

Add rigid foam during re-roof

Our home on a barrier island 30 miles south of Wilmington, NC (close to NC/SC border) needs to have its shingle roof replaced. We’re planning on going to a standing seam metal roof.

If we know we want to eventually condition the attic, should we add rigid foam on top of our sheathing during the re-roof? Or spray foam the attic later?

If rigid foam makes sense now, what is the recommended type and thickness for this application?

Other house details
Climate zone: 3 Coastal
Built in 1947 (survived Hurricane Hazel!)

Asked By Robb Czyzewski | Sep 4 15