Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions. The usual rules of courtesy apply: 1. Be nice. 2. If you can't be nice, be polite. 3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief. To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled "More explanation," look for the words "File attachments." Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo. Thanks for joining the conversation!

My designer and I are designing a house as close to passivhaus standards as we can get. We have agreed to design it with SIPs but he thinks a truss roof with spray insulation would work just as well. I'm thinking a SIP roof eliminates potential for thermal bridging and is less costly to install versus the truss roof.

Asked By scott schroeder | Aug 29 14

I would like to decide on putting in solar panels to reduce energy costs.

I have read about the next generation solar panels not being to far off.

Question: Would it be better to install current solar panels or wait for the new type that will be coming shortly?

Asked By John Alberti | Aug 26 14

This is something that as passed a few times in my background brain processes,

How does SHG on exterior cladding/glass influence heatloss ??

If glazings specs 50%VT , a part of the remaining 50% must be converted to heat?

If exterior cladding on a building is black, and sun is shinning on the south face,
it must affect the heatloss greatly for the shined on walls ??

As an example, let's assume a building up here cold north.
20c inside 0c outside.
Sun shines on a large flat south wall that was cladded with a black painted steel sheets finish.

Asked By Jin Kazama | Aug 28 14

My 1927 house has balloon framing, real plaster walls on rock lath, and no vapor barrier. It has cedar shingles over tar paper.

If I blow insulation into the walls, will I create a problem with vapor from the house condensing inside the walls? Even without insulation (current condition), can I close the top of the walls in the attic or will that also allow water vapor to condense in the walls?

Asked By RUTH HENDRICKSON | Aug 29 14

I understand from prior posts there are concerns with the flash foam and fiberglass insulation in terms of moisture vapor.

Would the use of proper barriers and Roxul instead of fiberglass help to abate that concern?

Asked By George Levicki | Aug 29 14

I am in the final phase of completing my first PERSIST remodel.
We have installed (2) layers of reclaimed 2" polyiso on the walls (over TYVEK drainwrap) of a 1940's ranch and then strapped with 1x4's using headlock screws. Existing walls were in decent shape in terms of flatness and corners were within an 1/4" of plumb over 10'. So the walls were not perfect but they were pretty good, not bad enough to catch the eye.

Asked By Charles Chiampou | Aug 24 14

Here are the facts about this house first;

Asked By Richard Beyer | Aug 29 14

My new house is designed to limit penetrations through the building envelope to as few as possible. Nevertheless, sillcocks, outside electrical receptacles, outside lights, HRV intake/ exhaust, etc. need to be sealed.
Are there methods or products that are more effective than others? How about ease of installation? I've seen photos of tape covering holes and that seems like a pretty clunky solution. I'm probably going to either do much of the airsealing myself, or at least supervise it.
Thanks for any advice.

Asked By stephen sheehy | Aug 29 14

I keep hearing the term "acoustical sealant" in the context of air sealing, as in "use acoustical sealant for air sealing because it remains flexible", but am a little bit confused as to what it means. Does it refer to:

1. Tremco accoustical sealant, the specific product?
  2. Any caulk or other sealant that exhibits the "remains flexible forever" property?
  3. Something else entirely?
Asked By Aaron Birkland | Aug 29 14

We are building a straw-bale house with steel bones in Sacramento, CA in spring 2015 and I'd love to get some insights from the community! We are pretty far along into the design process, but with nothing purchased as of yet I'd love to get some input before we put our money where our mouths are.

Our goal is to have a (mostly) passively heated and cooled home in (relativity) temperate Sacramento, CA. Passivhaus would be nice but it's an aspiration rather than a goal. Our lot has a number of trees for shade that we plan to utilize, especially in the western aspect.

Asked By Nick Campbell | Aug 26 14