Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

3 Answers

Hydronic Heating System Hydraulic Buffer Tank vs Hydraulic Seperator

This question might be more appropriate in a plumbing forum but I have had such great and thoughtful responses in the GBA forums I look to here first. This is also a hydronic heating mainstream topic which should be appropriate for GBA.

Asked By Roger Smith | Feb 26 17
3 Answers

Casement windows?

I'm looking for highly efficient triple glazed windows with a high solar heat gain coefficient for use on the south side of a new construction home in Massachusetts (Climate Zone 5). I like Schuco windows, however, I am looking to compare with a window that performs similarly but doesn't open into the living space. Any suggestions?

Asked By user-6776655 | Feb 26 17
0 Answers

Load Specs- understanding manufacturer's fastener spec

Hello again GBAer's

I'm having trouble interpreting a load spec for a Simpson fastener (SDWS221000DB). Looking at a table that addresses my specific application (furring strip on 6" of exterior board foam insulation, 16" studs), the heading of the table reads:

"Maximum Allowable Cladding Weight to be Supported (psf)"

This seems fairly clear, except doesn't 'psf' refer to a _pressure_? But this wouldn't make much sense.

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 26 17
6 Answers

Follow up question re: basement subfloor (climate zone 7a)

A couple of weeks ago I asked a variety of questions pertaining to my livable space basement retrofit for a 1974 home in climate zone 7a. Recap: there is no exterior foundation or under slab insulation, etc. No water penetration issues into the interior but part of the basement has shown recurring efflorescence and some spalling in a few places.

Asked By user-6759891 | Feb 24 17
7 Answers

Heat-pump water heater for an all-electric garage apartment?

We our building a detached garage w/ 2nd story apartment (1 bedroom, ~900 sq ft conditioned space) & debating the system to heat water:
- Primary purpose for the garage apartment is for our mothers to live in as they age. Mainly for safety reasons, we're not having gas service to the apartment (could do relatively easily - main house has gas service)
- Cooling-dominated climate (Houston TX)

Asked By Robert Hallenbeck | Feb 8 17
0 Answers

insulating a garage

I am seriously considering converting my garage into a workshop that I want to use year round. It is cement block construction and I would like recommendations on insulating the walls. I will probably drywalling after and then installing shelving etc. Thanks

Asked By JATotter | Feb 26 17
4 Answers

How to insulate a cathedral ceiling from within the rafter bays

I have a zone 7 1840s house-and-a-half style house, with the second floor walls going about 4 ft up, then sloped cathedral ceiling for another 3 ft up, capped by the flat ceiling and a 4' high crawl space attic. Essentially the second floor looks like a rectangle with the upper corners knocked off, and every surface but the top and bottom is exterior facing. So the sloped ceilings are the thickness of the lathe and plaster, the rafters, and the roof.

Asked By Terry Sharpe | Feb 24 17
5 Answers

How to insulate a shipping container home?

I would like to understand how to best insulate a shipping container home. i am thinking of building on a pier system.

Specifically I am wondering about the double sided foil such as Radiant guard that comes in both permeable and vapor barrier. Which do I put on the inside and which goes on the outside. I live in the Seattle area Marine Zone 4-5.

Asked By SirKoda | Feb 24 17
3 Answers

Integrating Ducted Mini-Split with HRV

Hello,

Asked By John Brown | Feb 25 17
27 Answers

SIP roof issues

Hi Everyone.

I was listening to Mr. Holladay on the FHB podcast and started getting nervous about my SIP roof built 3 years ago.. We live in central Washington and the climate is pretty cold in the winter (mid 20's) and hot in the summer (upper 90's). The humidity levels are low year round. We get about 2-3 of snow on the ground by February. The roof is 1/2:12 pitch and is 64'x32'. The bottom seams of the panels were taped, although the tape didn't seem to stick all that well. The humidity in the house is around 28-32% year round. The ceiling is painted drywall.

Asked By Matt Melton | Feb 17 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!