ERV, HRV, Dehumidifier retro fit before finishing basement

Hi all, I'm new here. Please bear with me with lots of questions.

I live in Zone 4A, with humid summer (100+ F, at least 3-4 months AC time), cold winter (-10 -- 0 F, at least 3-4 months heating), and wet spring and fall. Our house was built about 10 years ago. It has 3 HVAC systems for 4000 sq. ft. and additional 2000+ sq. ft. unfinished basement. Two HVAC systems are located in basement while the third one located in a closet on 2nd floor.

Asked By Wendy D | Oct 25 14

What effect does home mass have on the peak cooling load?

Dr. Bailes presents a graph for his "old and leaky" condo in his blog "How to tell if your air conditioner is oversized". It demonstrates that his outside design temperature is reached at about noon. It also showed that the hourly run times for his a/c unit remain at lower levels until 5-8 hours later (notably peaking during hours 7 & 8). Presumably his "old & leaky" condo is not super insulated nor air tight.

Asked By Ted Cummings | Oct 25 14

Crawl Space With Dirt Floor and Spray Foam

I have a crawl space that is covered by walls wood and parchment. Above it is the kitchen hence there are kitchen pipes there that never froze. My garden hose supply line has frozen a couple of times in the past. There is also force air duct work in there. I brought in a number of different insulators and there is no consistency.

Asked By Paul Staffieri | Oct 25 14

How do deviations in average winter temperature affect energy consumption?

Off the top of my head I would expect a five percent colder winter to cost five percent more for heating, all things being equal.

Asked By norm farwell | Oct 24 14

Best Anabolic Cycle Help!

If you want to acquire muscle mass, you can take Testoviron Depot that is extensively utilized for the hypertrophy of the muscles and gaining physique strength in a quick period of time. Study ahead to find out a lot more about its use, dosage and effects.

Asked By Irving Hollenbeck | Oct 25 14

Oil filled heaters

I own a bungalow house with an apt downstairs. I have tenants upstairs and downstairs. Appx 600 square feet On each level. The house is heated by forced air oil furnace. The problem is the heat comes on everywhere Through house and can't be operated separately by the tenants. I've advised everyone to turn down Thermostat if you're out for awhile to let the other tenant "control the heat".
If someone leaves the heat on and the other tenant finds it to hot, they have to hit the kill switch to turn furnace off.

Asked By Tim Young | Oct 25 14

Calculating how much air needed to even out temps for minisplit

I'm building an 800sf 2 story house, R20 under slab, R40 walls, R60 roof, as airtight as possible, but likely just double pane windows (due to cost). 12% glazing, mostly on south side, w/ 4" slab on first floor. Using Marc Rosenbaum's heat loss spreadsheet, I get around 4000BTHU building load here in Portland Oregon at the 97% coldest day of 23F and a design temp of 70F, so a delta T of 47F.

Asked By Tom Frisch | Oct 23 14

Thermostats with radiant floor heating

I recently read an article comparing forced air and radiant heat energy use. The finding showed that the folk with radiant heat set their thermostats higher than for forced air. I hope that I am not being silly, but how can a thermostat on a wall respond to radiant heat? If one put a metal foil around the thermostat ,but let air flow occur, would the thermostat read a different number? I read in Mr Lyles masonry stove book that a cathedral that had radiant heating only had a 2 degree difference between the floor and ceiling (75 feet up).

Asked By Mike Legge | Oct 12 11

Flat roof insulation

I have built an extension to my house with flat roof, continuation of the existing house. The rafters are 16 in apart and there is 6 in left for the insulation under the sheeting. The plans are requiring R30 insulation and the building inspector requested hard foam Thermasheath- 3, 5 in thick, leaving 1 in for breathing. The drywall was not installed yet, when water from condensation came down all over the place. There are vents on both sides of the roof, in each bay under the insulation level, not allowing the hot air to escape.

Asked By Angela M | Nov 22 13

What kind of insulation would you recommend for a 20' shipping container being renovated into a home/studio space?

I'm renovating a 20' shipping container into a home/studio space and am wondering what would be the best "green" insulation to use. I will be doing some interior framing so would like to insulate the inside walls and floor. As well, I am building a green roof/deck that is framed using the structural strength of the container (no weight on the center of the roof) and would like to add insulation between the joist supports and deck floor (approx 3" - 9" above the container roof) and the steel roof.

Asked By Sarah Beckstrom | Jan 19 14