Attic insulation reality check

It's time to get my attic air sealed and re-insulated and I've committed to hiring it out since the 6/12 pitch truss attic is a horrible place that I hate to work in. I'm having trouble finding people willing to blow cellulose. Everyone around here seems to want to blow fiberglass. Is this a major issue?

The first bid I've gotten is $3.20/sf for attic floor air sealing and R-30 worth of blown fiberglass. Sane/insane?

Asked By Nathaniel G | Mar 26 15

Structural Insulated Panel (SIP) roof decay

I have a BensonWood timber frame in Vt that is only 8 years old with significant panel roof decay. So much so that my standing-seam metal roof has begun to rust from the inside out. There is evidence of SIP seam failure in several places below the standing-seam metal roof. Is it likely this was the cause? It is a hot roof.

Asked By gregory raith | Oct 3 11

Alpen vs Inline

I am comparing Alpen and Inline products. I have recieved quotations from both companies and I would like to pose a few questions to those that have a little more experience in this relam.

Both companies use fiberglass frames and Cardinal Low E Glass. Inline makes their frame and Alpen purchases the frame material through Inline.

Alpen makes a double pane window, their 525-s Series, that have a whole window U-factor of .19 for casements and .15 for pictures. Inline offers a triple pane window with a whole window u-factor of .17 for a casement and .14 for a picture.

Asked By David Mosijchuk | Mar 25 15

Insulating truss joists 16" on center — Best way?

Batt insulation for 24" o.c. The 2x lumber is 23" wide. The truss joists I'm looking at are 2x4 lumber 24" o.c. The space between the trusses is 21.5". Does anyone know if R-19 batts are available in 21.5 or 22"? Seems like squeezing a 23" wide batt will not work well.

Also the tiger wires used on 2x lumber will not work well on a truss. Is there another method of holding the batts up to the floor?

Asked By Walter Gayeski | Mar 25 15

Insulating scissor truss

Hi, I am building my first house, what a project that has turned out to be but that's for another day. Anyways, our great room has scissor trusses for a nice pitched ceiling. I would like to have at least 24" of insulation to keep things nice and toasty in the winter. There is a 4' overhang outside on either end. I nailed a 24" high plywood leaving a vent space above where the red is on the layout. My question is what material and how to go about it. To use the high density cellulose is has to be contained by some mesh? Any input appreciated.

Asked By Tom Smith | Jul 19 14

Manual J - Calcs - Mini Splits

Zone 4B - 3,300 sqft - 2 story - R10/R25/R60 with R8 windows - open floor plan design

The calcs came in at 3.25 tons heating/cooling. Two ductless minis per floor:
3 - 9,000 Btu Mitsubishi Hyper Heat Pumps - 26 SEER - 10.5 HSPF
1 - 12,000 Btu Mitsubishi Hyper Heat Pump - 26 SEER 10.5 HSPF

$12,000 installed (P&L) for all units - 10 year warranty

Asked By Peter L | Mar 26 15

Suggestions/advice on vapor barrier product to use?

In the basement of my house (built in 1900) in NE Ohio...Half of the basement floor is finished, the other half is dirt floor covered by a few inches of crushed stone gravel. I had a mold issue, so looking to put a vapor barrier over the gravel floor. Also am getting slightly elevated radon level about about 4.9 to 5.1. I'm hoping maybe to solve both issue with one fix. Here's my dilema...I'm looking for a vapor barrier material that would withstand occassionally walking across it.

Asked By Justin Stine | Mar 25 15

Improving panned return ducts

Our bungalow is a standard setup, with a 2 story addition added later. In the whole house, best I can tell, there are 3 return ducts, all on outside walls of the original house (1 is now interior), all on the 1st floor and all panned. I can access some of them from the basement.

The 2 farthest from the furnace are panned across to the center of the house, then in a duct going below the joists, then back into a panned duct that goes above the duct pushing air out, and then into another duct that goes back to the furnace, if that makes sense.

Asked By Jeremy M | Mar 25 15

Modular house design overview

Hi All,

My presentation can be found at https://www.scribd.com/doc/258417069/House-Design-Overview-R3?secret_pas...

I am going to build a new house this year in south eastern MA. To reduce construction time I am planning on going with a modular builder. To control costs I am acting as the GC and planning on doing the HVAC install, attic and basement insulation, and plumbing/wiring hookups. I am still looking into modular builders, hopefully I can find one who is willing to set the house and make it weather tight and allow me to finish the rest of the work.

Asked By mike haskell | Mar 11 15

Porch posts

We are building a wrap around porch that extends 6'. Since we know, because of code we have to use 6x6 for the posts for the deck, I have question about the posts that supper the roof.

One way is to use the same 6x6 and extend it from footer to header. We think that since these posts will be 6' apart going around the porch it might seem a bit too bulky.

Does code allow you to replace 6x6 posts with a PVC reinforced porch posts (they are turned and look like traditional porch posts)? Or do we have to stick with 6x6 lumber?

Asked By Matt Cibula | Mar 25 15