Dense packing cellulose with the Krendl 425

Hi All,

I am going to attempt to dense pack several horizontal stud bays (2x10 floor joists, 12in o.c., between attached garage and bonus room) using the Krendl 425 (14amp 2-stage blower, pushing 1100 – 1400 lbs of cellulose per hour) over the upcoming weekend.

Asked By Joe Duchek | May 23 17

Triple pane windows for high efficiency cabin

1400sq. Ft. cabin...Zone 7 10,000 HDD with R40 walls and R80 in roof. Looking for ideas for windows. I'm probably looking at a manufacturer in North America for costs and timeline to get.
Have looked at H-Windows, in person and several others online, including Marvin "Tripane".

Any pluses or minuses with any of them would be helpful.

Steve

Asked By Steve Lenertz | May 29 17

Wide door for workshop built to passive house standards

I am looking for an affordable wide door for a workshop that meets passive house standards.

I want to preserve as much wall space as possible.

I am looking for at least 6 to 8 feet of opening. With this being a workshop, it doesn't need to be a work of art, just functional.

I had looked at the Zola breezeway panel door. That is not available in their lower priced uPVC lines.

Thoughts?

-Drew

Asked By Andrew Sanderson | May 28 17

Flooring approach in climate zone 3A basement

Hey folks,

I'm planning on finishing by basement and am looking for some advice on the flooring assembly. I posted something similar about the walls a few weeks back. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-an...

Some quick information: Climate zone 3a, poured concrete slab, no insulation under slab, no bulk water issues so far, new house constructed in 2016.

Asked By Jamie Royal | Mar 27 17

Another attic & cathedral ceiling insulation question

New here, and I have read a number of the related questions and articles, but as usual, every situation seems a little bit different. I have a small 3-season cabin in eastern Ontario, used from April through October.I am renovating the interior and looking to add some insulation - mainly in hopes of keeping some of the heat out in the summer, and enough to keep the drafts out on cooler spring/fall days (heat is provided by central wood stove only). 2x4 walls have 2-3 inches of spray foam already, windows are new and quite airtight with a good reflective coat.

Asked By tdm64 | May 29 17

Attic insulation, Vapor Retarder, Radiant Barrier, advice needed?

Hi, I live in the 4a climate zone. Looking to insulate a small (16 x 30) attic, which currently has little to no insulation and no HVAC in the attic. I'm planning to remove the existing (minimal) insulation, prior to sealing and insulating. I'd like to do this properly but I don't know what is the best way to insulate this attic? Does it need a vapor retarder? Is a radiant barrier needed? Should I use Batts, blown-in or spray foam? I think I'd prefer blown in over Batts, which raises the vapor retarder question.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Asked By Neil Squires | May 28 17

Shop with Radiant Slab Heat - Do I Need Slab Insulation?

Hi,

I'm planning to build a 40x96 shop with in-slab radiant heat. I will likely only heat to 55 degrees. I live in Central ND, zone 7a. Wondering if it's necessary to use foam under my slab. Any thoughts?

Asked By Adam Emter | May 29 17

Advice for Flat Roof Installation

We are having a new roof put on an addition that was originally built in 1919.We are in Southern California. It has to remain flat because several windows look out on to it. I am struggling to find alternatives to the asphalt my contractor wants to use. One of the main reasons I don't want to use them is the off-gassing and the windows that are right there.
Contractor didn't like idea of garden roof and I have found so many conflicting opinions about PVC roofs vs. TPO vs. EPDM.
Any help would be so appreciated.

Asked By girlcab | May 29 17

Best solution for high humidity retrofit

Anyone heard of Lunos E2 units being used in a retrofit with high humidity in Ontario? Or has anyone used a Lunos Nexxt system? My Rep assessment said I needed to bring in about 53 com fresh air, so I would need 2 of the E2 series making 4 holes in the wall without addressing basement humidity. I live in a 980 sf bungalow end unit and humidity is often 55 , winter or spring. Two days ago it was 61. Mould starts to grow on the glass door edging. The furnace is about 15vyears old and does not bring in fresh air. I'm not sure an Hrv makes sense since the place is so small.

Asked By cdbh12 | May 28 17

Air Tight Garage Door?

I have a unique set of requirements for a garage I'm building. I've been unable to find anything online in terms of 7' x 7' air tight garage door.

1. Because of plumbing in the garage, I have to heat it all winter in an especially high altitude (cold) location in zone 7b.

2. The insulation is R-40 walls, R60 attic, R-20 around the foundation, with FPSF detailing.

3. I don't need to open the garage door more than about 10 times per year.

Asked By Kevin Dickson, MSME | Aug 30 13