Another “rigid-foam attached to the underside of rafters” plan

This is new construction with an all hip roof with a very short ridge located in the northern part of zone 3. I’ve ended up with a large cathedral ceiling area which opens to additional living space tucked under the roof resulting in an unvented attic. Is my insulation plan workable? Might I have future water issues? Will my stack-up breathe and dry sufficiently? What issues will the trades find with the plan? is there a better plan?

Asked By Richard | Dec 28 15

Appropriate treatment of shower/tub walls adjacent to dense pack cellulose?

Climate zone 4C marine, planning for new construction.

Planned typical R-26 exterior wall section: fiber cement siding, 1X rainscreen furring, 3" 8pcf rock wool, taped sheathing (primary air control and WRB), 2X4 load-bearing wall with 3.5pcf cellulose, 1/2" gypsum board.

How should interior high-humidity areas like showers adjacent to this exterior wall section be handled?

Asked By Stuart Friedberg | Feb 9 16

A couple of renovation questions regarding my 1960 Cape

Hello all, I was looking up information on housewrap, and stumbled upon this website, what a great find. Anyways, I’m hoping to get some information/advice as the best way to go about doing some renovations this spring/summer on my house

Asked By Khouri Rice | Feb 9 16

Leaky Ductwork in Basement

After getting a very poorly rated energy audit from our electric company, I'm working diligently to get our house more air tight. Seeing lots of posts about HVAC equipment, I'm thinking ours is a little lacking. It is 5 years old, the furnace is 95% efficient. But, the black tape is falling off and according to infrared, it is leaking. I've attached several pictures and also infrared pictures. We are in zone 5 (NW MO). It is 20 degrees outside and our basement walls are 47 and 53 at the frost line.

Asked By Becky Parrish | Feb 9 16

Best way to fix insulation problem in cathedral ceiling? Please help!

I built my chalet about 8 yrs ago and was up in the attic and noticed black water stains (probably mold).
after many days and night researching what was wrong, i believe my issue is insulation and air leakage.
i have called all the insulation and roofing businesses (not many in this area) and each says its the others issue.

this site has been the most informative, but i cant seem to find any article or videos on how to add or change insulation in a cathedral ceiling after construction has been done.

Asked By Aaron H | Jan 31 16

Do they sell Dow Thermax anymore?

I have a big basement I need to insulate from the interior and I'd like to avoid the cost of framing and drywall since the basement will only be used for storage.

Do they still make Dow Thermax? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there a new product that meets the fire ratings as Thermax, that won't require drywall over it?

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Feb 9 16

GSHP and an Endless Pool

We have slowly been renovating our 115 year old, 2200 sq ft farm house over the past 12 years and live in northern Michigan (climate zone 6). This year we are replacing the 60 year old aluminum siding and roof and upgrading the walls to r30 and the roof to r60. We are also adding a 2425 gal endless pool/spa to the outdoor covered porch. I understand an outdoor pool in northern Michigan probably doesn't fall into the category of green building but it will definitely be fun!

Asked By Ryan Knight | Feb 9 16

Does anyone have experience with Zehnder ComfoFlex?

We are building a new house and in the final stages of design. The design includes an HRV and Zehnder ComfoTube looked great until I discovered that it is not UL listed. So, I'm curious if anyone can provide feedback on ComfoFlex. There isn't much on the intertubes...

Asked By Trevor Fontaine | Feb 9 16

Spray foam directly on underside of roof?

I have a conditioned attic, currently insulated with R19 fiberbatts between the rafters. No airsealing, hence I want to remove the fiberbatts and spray 3 inches of closed cell spray foam in before putting the fiberbatts back in place. The attic is unvented, for instance no ridge vent exists. Should I put any membrane or the like on the underside of the roof sheathing before spraying the foam in ? I was thinking that would help with keeping the insulation intact in case the roof needed repair later on?

Asked By matthias paustian | Feb 9 16

How do I calculate the interior temperature of a window at a given outside temperature with a fixed interior temperature?

I am trying to predict at what outside temperature will I get condensation on my windows. If it is 70 degrees inside with 40% relative humidity and my window has a u-value of .3 at what outside temperature will the window (frame and center of glass) have condensation. How do I calculate this?

Asked By Chaz Steffen | Feb 9 16