GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Multi-head low-temperature minisplit?

kyeser | Posted in General Questions on

Has anyone seen a extra low temp multi head mini split offered. I got quoted a Fujitsu 12RLSH but was told that the extra low temp heating models, supposedly still offering heat to -15F, was only offered as a single condenser and air handler.
I am building a three bedroom ranch in Northern NY, my heat loss is around 21,000 BTU/hr.
The floor plan is mostly open but the bedrooms are on opposite sides of the house and might have doors closed.
I will have backup electric baseboard but would like to have cooling in the rooms so I was looking into a multi head system.

The Fujitsu mix and match system I was quoted has a single condenser and three heads inside but the low temperature heat output is not as low as the single condenser/air handler I was quoted.

Anyone have any experience with these multi head units in cold climate conditions?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. mackstann | | #1

This does seem to be a hole in their product lines.

Not sure about Fujitsu, but as far as I can tell, with Mitsubishi, the M-series Hyper Heat models top out at 1.5 tons. You then have to move up to the P-series multi split which starts at 2.5 tons. So if you want more than 1.5 tons but less than 2.5 tons, you are stuck using 2 or more M-series units, and you will have multiple condensers outside.

http://www.mitsubishipro.com/media/226460/h2i_brochure.pdf

2. user-1072251 | | #2

According to a Mitsubishi representative I spoke with in March, the multi head hyper heat models will be available within a year.

3. kyeser | | #3

Hmmm? I wonder if I should wait for the new technology. I could run conduits so I don't have to dig up the yard or slab. But then it's a question of living without the comfort or potential savings of having a mini split in the near term. It is always an interesting dilemma as to when to jump into the technology cycle. I keep waiting for pickups up to experience the jump in MPG that cars have experienced, till then I'll keep driving my old F 150.

4. jinmtvt | | #4

Kye : you should really consider installing 2 seperate units of the latest Fuji/Mits cold temp tuned products.

The fujitsud RLS2H are virtually "silent" in operation outside ..almost ridiculous
    ( even more if you put them into "exterior silent" mode )

As for your F150 ...

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150

use the broswe to verify the other offerings...
    there are probably alot smarter options than F150 if you are not using the box for heavy stuff
    50%+ of the time.
    ( aka closed trailer? )

5. gusfhb | | #5

It occurs to me long term that the separate units will have a lower replacement cost when it comes time. whatever the newest technology can pop in relatively speaking

6. jinmtvt | | #6

Keith : why is that so ? please explain your line of thoughts

you do know that these simple single headed systems have been around for quite long time
    and the first quality brands ( daikin/mit/fuji ) have life spans of 15-20 years.
    and all have a pretty low defect rate ( most of which happen during the first year of service )
    electronics on both the interior and exterior units are very easy to replace also without disturbing the line setup.

I don't want to sound as a sale agent , but the simplicity of the recent single headed minis and their relatively low cost vs their efficiency, push in their favor for many if not almost all applications.

7. gusfhb | | #7

umm,exactly, single headed units seem like the cheapest way going forward, compared to multis

8. jinmtvt | | #8

Keith : i apologize , i read the contrary of your prior statement in my head ...so yes we agree then! :)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |