Electric tankless hot water

My name is John, and I'm an instructor at Madison Area Tech College in Madison Wi, in the Construction and Remodeling Program. We train or students in a 1 year diploma program how to be wood frame carpenters. We build super high efficient tiny homes with the students, that we sell. We incorporate lots of things talked about on this site. One thing we are trying to figure out: How to efficiently heat water without taking up too much space.

Asked By John Stephany | Feb 7 17

Sealing under-layers of built-up exterior foam panel insulation

Hello again GBA'ers.

Making progress on the details of my 6" graphite EPS over Zip panel exterior wall assembly, and coming down to the final few questions, I think.

At this point I want to use ThermalStar GX EPS, and the assembly will three layers of 2" to get to the final design depth, the outermost face of the outermost layer will be faced, but none of the others will be, which leaves two (I think) questions:

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17

Garage Door Perimeter Seals

I am finishing up a garage build in New Hampshire. The garage space will be heated and the garage doors are the biggest issue as far as air infiltration goes. I have gone with a two inch thick polyurethane door. Each door section has a sealing strip inbetween to seal air infiltration. The issue that I am having is finding a good high quality perimeter seal. Garaga brand double seal was recommended for its good sealing qualitys and the vinyl rubber seal is supposed to be very flexible down to low temps.

Asked By Jonathan Sinclair | Feb 20 17

How to get notifications from comments

Hello GBA.

I'm getting notifications of comments to questions that I ask, but I'd also like to get notifications when from _other_ threads, especially threads that I comment on.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Asked By Gerald Pehl | Feb 19 17

SIP roof issues

Hi Everyone.

I was listening to Mr. Holladay on the FHB podcast and started getting nervous about my SIP roof built 3 years ago.. We live in central Washington and the climate is pretty cold in the winter (mid 20's) and hot in the summer (upper 90's). The humidity levels are low year round. We get about 2-3 of snow on the ground by February. The roof is 1/2:12 pitch and is 64'x32'. The bottom seams of the panels were taped, although the tape didn't seem to stick all that well. The humidity in the house is around 28-32% year round. The ceiling is painted drywall.

Asked By Matt Melton | Feb 17 17

Location of Multi Port Tee for Plumbing

Hello GBA, Zone 2A, I'm replumbing my house, and need help deciding the location of the main multiport tees. There will be 12 lines for the cold, and 8 for the hot. I can put it in the garage right by the water filters and heater, then route all lines up and over, or just put the tee in the attic then route the lines over from it. There is an access panel immediately in front of where it would be in the attic, so access is not an issue. All lines before the multiport tees are copper.

Pros of the in the attic:
Easier routing.
Looks much cleaner in the garage.
Less PEX used.

Asked By Jimmy Black | Feb 20 17

Getting an accurate price to build

Greetings! This is my first post on the forum; thanks in advance for the help. We are in the early stages of planning our new custom home (in Tucson, AZ, similar climate to Phoenix, so hot and dry with cooler nights). I'm just a person (not an architect, builder, or real estate professional), but have done a lot of research and have done a lot of DIY remodeling in the past.
We've met with two builders so far and neither interaction was the great. I'm looking for advice on how to salvage either relationship or how to avoid these mistakes for the next builder I talk to.

Asked By Lisa Mason | Feb 12 17

Heat-pump water heater availability and reliability

I was set to buy a geospring until I found out that they discontinued them. Does anybody have an opinion on the other brands out there?

Asked By user-6765908 | Feb 15 17

How do I insulate an already framed concrete wall?

Thanks for the amazing posts. I've learned a lot from this site. Here's the scoop. I live in Wisconsin, Zone 6. New construction and a walkout basement with full, 3/4 and 1/2 concrete walls. Builder had fiberglass and poly over studded wood walls and fiberglass only over concrete walls. We had a wet fall and at the end of it, there was just a mess downstairs. I pulled it all out to dry, and there it sits.

Asked By Scott Thompson | Feb 10 17

Passive house exterior door for reasonable price?

Has anyone come across an exterior door that provides good insulation and beefy frame that's worthy of a super insulated home but comes at a reasonable price? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Asked By Matthew Michaud | Feb 4 13