How to utilize cool basement / crawl space air to help cool the house?

I have a house on a hillside about 1300 sq. feet with a walk in basement/crawlspace under the entire house. I am located in Atascadero, CA 93422, which has hot, low humidity days in the summer but cools off rapidly in the evening. It is extremely rare that I need cooling in the evenings.

Asked By Cuj Monguy | Oct 16 17

Are my minisplits modulating or short cycling?

Hello- first of all this site has been an incredible resource. I did most of my own research in adding 4 mini splits to my 1940's home. It was primarily for AC and heat for the shoulder seasons as we really enjoy our 1 pipe steam heat (although older boiler). I went with 2x Fujitsu (not XLTH) condensers with 2 heads each. A 12k per floor (open kitchen area, top of stairs, attic playroom), and 7k in the master.

Home has been retrofitted with new windows, open cell in the rafters, blown-in in the walls, etc...so definitely on the tighter side for it's age.

Asked By Kjmass1 | Oct 4 17

I have a problem with humidity management during winter in my off-grid secondary home

When we get there the air inside can be as low as -20C so when we go back all the humidity we produced is collecting-condesing on the vapor barrier (Isofoil).

The building is 3 years old and was built quite tight by myself. 2 floors, 28x32, heat source wood stove only.

Asked By Pierre Levasseur | Oct 15 17

Swedish platform framing and other non-conventional framing practices

I'm in early stages of planning my new home and I want to build using swedish platform framing priniciples as described in the "new american wall" articles on this site and the lamidesign site.

I'm curious, for anyone who has built with this framing method or other non-conventional framing practices, what additional challenges did you face with respect to plan approval and framing inspection, and how did you overcome them?

Any and all words of wisdom are welcome!

Best,
Steve

Asked By user-6919167 | Oct 16 17

Vapor barrier needed if interior walls are horse-hair plaster?

I plan to put new, pre-stained cedar shingles on the exterior of my 1920s bungalow this spring. This is the only side of the house that hasn't been renovated. Earlier renovations to other parts of the house revealed tar paper under the shingles, so I assume we'll find the same thing under these shingles. The interior wall is horsehair plaster and there is no insulation (this is the only exterior-facing wall in the house that still has horse-hair plaster). I've read some confusing posts about Tyvek/Typar and moisture barriers. Do they create moisture problems with horsehair plaster?

Asked By bonbar15 | Oct 16 17

Insulating a wall

Hi, I live in Toronto.Canada
Situation: I have a garage attached to my house. The wall that separates the garage to the living room, I removed the drywall and all the kraft faced insulation between the studs. The drywall on the living room side I don't want to remove because I installed laminate on the wall with a fireplace. How would I insulate this wall from the garage side? I was thinking of installing 3.5" of rigid xps inbetween the studs then re drywalling. Thank you

Asked By Vernon Mcconnell | Oct 16 17

Mini-split for Phoenix, AZ Duplex?

Hello everybody,

I'm Ben and I'm new to GBA. Well, I've been reading lots of articles here and searching the Q&A, but this is my first post.

I recently purchased a duplex in downtown Phoenix, Arizona. It needs pretty much a total rehab. Most of the flooring needs to be replaced due to water and/or termite damage. This gives me the opportunity to seal the crawlspace if I want. Luckily, the exterior walls are all concrete block, so no terminte damage there.

Asked By Ben | Oct 7 17

Capillary break sprayed on to footer

We are pouring footers next week and have to make a decision on how to provide a capillary break between footer and foundation wall. Specs in our contract builder call for a liquid applied product to be used, with a $250 allowance for that. The idea was to apply it before drilling in the rebar, then to patch as necessary after rebar is in place.

Now my builder is suggesting that we could instead have the waterproofing contractor spray Tremco Tuff n Dri on the footer after the rebar is in place. He would do this for $250, so it's within budget.

Asked By William Costello | Oct 14 17

Insulating a beehive for winter

Bees seem to need our help more and more these days. They do not hibernate, but cluster together to create warmth, and subsequently create moisture by breathing. That can turn deadly unless there is a little ventilation. Therefore, there are openings top and bottom for ventilation and for bee flights on nice days. Traditional hive wraps are black roofing felt (tarpaper), or a black plastic covered fiberglass blanket "wrap," or my current 1" silver foil-faced rigid foam. I like the idea of 2" foam (strapped like a box around the hive) but wonder what will happen in the elements.

Asked By Brownew | Oct 16 17

Radon fan causing increased humidity

Thanks everyone on the feedback concerning humidity and attic insulation. I have discovered the problem. After documenting the temp and RH in both the house and crawl space, I have discovered the Radon Fan is somehow bringing humidity ( outdoor air) into the building envelope. i noted the RH and temp in both the crawl and home with the radon fan running-and I did it in the evening hours so the HVAC or outdoor temps would not alter the findings- but the dedicated dehumidifier in the crawl continued to run. So here we go:

Asked By Hotandhumid | Oct 11 17