Wall vent vs. roof vent

We are installing a custom wood range hood and can't decide between venting through our wall or heading through the roof. The duct is 6" round. Going through the roof the run would be about 3-4' straight up. Roof is pitched about 5-12 and the vent cap would land right around 30" from the eave.

The range sits on an exterior wall, so heading though the wall would give the run a 90 degree turn and about 2' of ducting. The siding is 4" lap fiber cement. Any pros or cons or suggestions to persuade me one way or another?

Asked By Matt Cibula | Jan 25 15

Got cellulose insulation, how to fix the interior holes?

They drilled two holes and loose filled it (i know, it should be dense packed). The holes are 2 inches wide, and plugged with styrofoam discs about 1in thick. Some are reasonably tight, some are loose. What is a good way to fix this, if i drywall compound and paint many of these will move over time. I was thinking of using a few cans of spray foam, cutting flush with a painting razor and painting. Would this work well, or do i need to sand and plaster before painting or is there a better way?

Asked By Alan B | Jan 22 15

advice on rough finished new construction zone 5 top floor

Background: I did what I said I'd never do and bought a big house. I'm trying to house several older family members and my kids at this time in my life and I couldn't help it. The style, over built owner construction and 8 hard wooded acres hooked me. And the price was right. It's all finished except for the top floor. Which is where most of my advice will be needed. It's located in Middlesex County ma.

The 1250 sqf top floor has dormers and 1 skylight.. 2x6 walls and

Asked By stephen edge | Jan 25 15

Windows - Canned spray foam vs. ExoAir foam tape

I noticed that builders will use canned spray foam to fill in the gaps between the window and the window bucks. The spray foam is messy and needs to be trimmed back on the interior and exterior since trim work cannot be done properly. I also question spray foams ability to expand and contract as window frames do over the course of the life of the home. I also have seen smoke pencil tests done after spray foam and there are noticeable air gaps between the window frame and buck.

Asked By Peter L | Jan 24 15

What's the best way to integrate rain water to a condo system?

Hi,

First of thank you for having such a wonderful forum to share infornation on. I have found this place very usefull in the past.

To my question: im designing a 7 story medium sized condo that will house 6 families. Im thinking of integrating rain harvesting to the building as we some times get droughts and i hate to see all that rain water go to waste. I think it should be regulation to have some sort of backup water sytem just incase the mains dry up. But for now will just be using rain water for the watering closet.

Some numbers:

Asked By Osman Naskali | Jan 24 15

Should I install electric tankless hot water, a heat-pump water heater, or solar hot water?

So I'm in the process of specing out and finishing design on a Deep Energy Retrofit/Whole House Remodel on an old 1858 farmhouse.

House Demographics
We are in Zone 6a - NH.
PERSIST Technique is being used throughout.
R20 slab/R20 Sandwich Foundation walls/R40 above grade walls/R60 roof
We will have 9.3 kW of PV solar, and our current plans include two Solar Thermal Panels and and 80gallon Steibel-Eltron Water Heater/Storage Tank for our domestic hot water.....

Asked By brad hardie | Jan 23 15

Double Staggered-Stud Wall vs. 2x3 + Foam Strip + 2x4 Wall

My new house will be in a part of climate zone 2B in Arizona where the winter nights often dip into the 30s and the summer days often rise to 100 with around 45 days of "monsoon season" mostly in August when we'll get an hour of thunderstorms once or twice a week. We have moderate to severe termites.

Asked By Jeff Cooper | Jan 23 15

Longevity of double wall construction?

I'm currently designing a new home as an owner/builder (construction to begin later this year) for the Edmonton, Alberta area. I have several years of building experience, however I have to admit that I've only ever done status quo jobs - 2x6 construction with fiberglass batts, a poly vapor barrier and OSB sheathing.

Asked By Matthew Sokalski | Jan 23 15

How to insulate a block house?

i am rebuilding a small block house with a full basement in Northern Ohio. After researching the forum it seems like the consensus is to insulate the outside. My concern is that moisture in the walls from the ground or footings/slab will need to escape to the inside of the house since the rigid insulation XPS will create a vapor barrier on the outside. Any feedback or suggestions will be helpful. Jay

Buildintegral@gmail.com

Asked By jay cooper | Jan 23 15

Closed crawlspace ventilation choices

I'm in the process of closing my 900 sqft crawlspace and need to find a way to ventilate the space. One thought I had was to use the old oil furnace chimney/flue as a way to send the air up and out with the help of a small(20cfm) bath fan. The flue is centrally located and close to an existing outlet. Or is it better to seal the flue (or remove it all together) and duct the air through the foundation wall.
Particulars:
zone 4 asheville nc
house built in 1969
neighbor had his crawl space tested for radon and was negative.
13mil barrier sealed to block wall

Asked By terrell whitworth | Jan 23 15