Running PEX in-floor in addition to baseboard

I'm building a new wood frame home with hot water baseboard heating in climate zone 6. The bathroom will have tile floors and I was thinking of using some electric resistance heat under the tile along with a baseboard hot water radiator in the bathroom. These electric systems are not inexpensive to install or operate so I am now considering simply running loops of Pex (the supply line to the bathroom radiator) between the joists to keep the tiles warm before the water in the line gets to the baseboard radiator.

Asked By George LaLonde | Mar 2 15

Dana, others, DIY PV, mini split, superinsulate, costs

What would it cost today to roof install 5.6KW of PV DIY?

DIYers are eligible for what rebates in NY in 2015?

Anyone?

Martin a blog on DIY PV and DIY mini split installation?

5,6KW PV for $2/W? $11,200?

DIY 2 ton mini split two heads, $1800x2= $3,600?

Superinsulate a 1,800sqft home, DIY cellulose purchase, 12" walls, 30" lid, $5.000?

These items can be done by one timers, DIYers.

Be nice to have a Q&A with this information on costs all in one thread.
Thanks
aj

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Mar 2 15

Buying a house and want to make it super efficient. I have some concerns about the attic. Can you help?

I am about to close on a house that was built in 1972. It is in Longview, Texas. It is 2100 sq. ft. The garage was made into living space at an unknown date. Has a 3.5 ton central air unit and electric furnace for heat (inspector said that is too small and likely was in place before the garage was converted). Flex type ducting in the attic. My goal is to eventually do the entire place from top to bottom, as I can afford it, and make it cheap to heat and cool. I have several plans in mind. Insulation of the attic I think will be my first step.

Asked By Sam Vail | Feb 26 15

Adding wall R-value in a historic retrofit

What options are available for adding r-value to a wall if we can't remove the exterior siding? I see three options...
1) dense pack cellulose in the existing 4" wall cavities (~R 14-16)
2) Closed cell spray foam in existing 4" cavity (~R 26-28)
3) Add a double interior wall filled with 7.5" of dense pack cellulose (~R 26-28)

Asked By alok khuntia | Feb 28 15

What is a correct way of fastening two layers of 2" rigid insulation to the exterior of a 2x6 wall?

I would like to know the correct way to fasten two layers of rigid foam insulation where the total thickness is 4". I am concerned that when hanging this thickness of foam it will be difficult to be sure that the siding application is secure. We will be using HardiePlank horizontal lap siding. This is a form of cement board and heavy on it's own. Any advice.
Thanks

Asked By william dempsey | Feb 26 15

What is the correct climate zone?

Can anyone point to a web site that will be zip code specific to determine which climate zone you are located? The Department of Energy web site leaves something to be desired. I cannot determine a clear explanation of climate zone 4 and 4 Marine. It seems there should be a site to enter zip code or address and get definitive information regarding climate zone.
William

Asked By william dempsey | Mar 1 15

Pier and beam — insulation under floors/house?

I live in a 645 s.f. two-story home on pier and beam. It is not well insulated, not winterized and not the most precise construction. It is about 20 years old and we just purchased it a year ago. My husband and I had plans to work on it to get it better insulated and heated, but he passed away suddenly and now I am trying to think of the things he mentioned we might try.

Asked By Jennifer Shrift | Mar 1 15

Any experience with precast basement walls?

We are planning to build a new home in southeastern Pennsylania. We are very concerned with paying close attention to energy efficiency and using energy efficient products, systems and techniques. One of the proposed contractors has suggested using precast concrete basement walls. His selling points are price, energy efficiency (R-22), built in waterproofing and expediency. He feels there is no comparison when you look at precast versus ICF walls for the basement. Does anyone have experience with these products. Any help will be appreciated.
William

Asked By william dempsey | Mar 1 15