IPhone Software Development Creating Creative Apps

Asked By Emily Nesbit | Jan 19 17

Mount outdoor unit on the wall or on the ground?

I am close to installing 3 fujitsu mini split units at our home under construction. Two outdoor units will be installed near each other, with the third installed in a different area of the house. The HVAC installer asked if I wanted to mount them on the wall or on the ground. I can't decide which I would prefer. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

I live in central KY, zone 4A. We don't get much deep snow around here, maybe once every 10-20 years.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Jan 18 17

Aged care nursing services and importance of food safety

Recently, cases have come to the fore where some top rated aged care centres have been warned by the Federal Government over concerns about food safety. These incidents reflects the grim state of food safety in aged care nursing homes, and call for some serious changes in the way good safety standards are implemented.

Asked By Yetta Finney | Jan 19 17

Help identifying roof shingles

Hi - Can anyone provide insight into what type of roof shingles are used in the two attached pictures? I like how they present thick horizontal lines, but I can't find any shingle manufacturer websites with similar looks.  I think both of these houses were in Europe somewhere.

Brad

Asked By Brad White | Jan 19 17

Exterior Rigid Foam Under Sheathing?

In my local area there is a green building consultant that recommends a CI panel which is basically EPS foam glued to OSB. The way this is installed would be the OSB to the exterior. Almost every house I see with exterior rigid foam in my online wonderings is covered with blue and pink XPS, the OSB sheathing is nailed directly to the studs and is completely covered with the rigid foam. This leads me to the following questions:

- Is anyone familiar with these kind of CI panels?

Asked By Joshua Greisen | Dec 8 16

Thermal breaks for window bucks in double stud walls

We'll be buliding double stud walls for a new house, with the inner wall being structural (the outer wall will consist of modified Larsen trusses). Total wall thickness will be around 16" and windows will be "in-betweenies". This will be my first double-stud wall house and I'm working in the wall details trying to minimze thermal bridging.

Asked By Chris Chenier | Jan 18 17

How thick a layer of closed cell spray foam under roof deck?

Our roof has 4" of rigid board closed cell foam with OSB (Atlas Nailbase) installed above the roof deck, but the seams between the sheets of foam were not sealed, as one can see in the attached picture. For those areas I can access, I started spraying closed cell foam on the underside of the roof deck - how thick a layer of spray foam under the roof deck do I need to have for reasonable insurance against moisture condensation at the seams of the Atlas OSB??

Asked By Jim Berry | Jan 18 17

Fujitsu Duct type halcyon inverter

Recently I had a duct type halcyon inverter installed. One unit is in the attic and the other in the basement. As I have read, you already addressed the issue of the indoor units set at the factory to read the temperature instead of the thermostats. This may have been a good idea with split units, but the attic unit was working too hard and the basement unit not hard enough. That was fixed when myself, and later the installer, found out that the thermostats are set at the factory to allow the ducted units to determine the temperature. After a few calls we were able to change that.

Asked By Peter Sampieri | Jan 19 17

Could you moderate first posts to stop the flood of spam?

Recently, I haven't been reading the Q&A on GBA, because it's always full of spam. Could I suggest that you moderate the first several posts by any non GBA Pro user who hasn't posted before? The idea being that you either have to pay for a subscription or post three moderated and approved posts before you get unfettered access to the forums.

Asked By John Ranson | Jan 19 17

Vapor Barrier on top of SIP floor?

We are working out the details for the construction of our new house in the Pacific Northwest. Our architect and structural engineer have specified a 9 1/4" SIP floor for the 1st floor. Since we will be building in a flood zone, our foundation will be an open design with concrete columns extending from a mat foundation. Horizontal beams will sit on top of the columns and the SIP panels will sit on top of the beams. The structural engineer has specified a factory treatment of "bluewood" preservative to the bottom face of the SIP panels.

Asked By Kevin Camfield | Jan 17 17