ERV, HRV, Dehumidifier retro fit before finishing basement

Hi all, I'm new here. Please bear with me with lots of questions.

I live in Zone 6, with humid summer (100+ F, at least 3-4 months AC time), cold winter (-10 -- 0 F, at least 3-4 months heating), and wet spring and fall. Our house was built about 10 years ago. It has 3 HVAC systems for 4000 sq. ft. and additional 2000+ sq. ft. unfinished basement. Two HVAC systems are located in basement while the third one located in a closet on 2nd floor.

Asked By Wendy D | Oct 25 14

How do deviations in average winter temperature affect energy consumption?

Off the top of my head I would expect a five percent colder winter to cost five percent more for heating, all things being equal.

Asked By norm farwell | Oct 24 14

Oil filled heaters

I own a bungalow house with an apt downstairs. I have tenants upstairs and downstairs. Appx 600 square feet On each level. The house is heated by forced air oil furnace. The problem is the heat comes on everywhere Through house and can't be operated separately by the tenants. I've advised everyone to turn down Thermostat if you're out for awhile to let the other tenant "control the heat".
If someone leaves the heat on and the other tenant finds it to hot, they have to hit the kill switch to turn furnace off.

Asked By Tim Young | Oct 25 14

Thermostats with radiant floor heating

I recently read an article comparing forced air and radiant heat energy use. The finding showed that the folk with radiant heat set their thermostats higher than for forced air. I hope that I am not being silly, but how can a thermostat on a wall respond to radiant heat? If one put a metal foil around the thermostat ,but let air flow occur, would the thermostat read a different number? I read in Mr Lyles masonry stove book that a cathedral that had radiant heating only had a 2 degree difference between the floor and ceiling (75 feet up).

Asked By Mike Legge | Oct 12 11

Calculating how much air needed to even out temps for minisplit

I'm building an 800sf 2 story house, R20 under slab, R40 walls, R60 roof, as airtight as possible, but likely just double pane windows (due to cost). 12% glazing, mostly on south side, w/ 4" slab on first floor. Using Marc Rosenbaum's heat loss spreadsheet, I get around 4000BTHU building load here in Portland Oregon at the 97% coldest day of 23F and a design temp of 70F, so a delta T of 47F.

Asked By Tom Frisch | Oct 23 14

Flat roof insulation

I have built an extension to my house with flat roof, continuation of the existing house. The rafters are 16 in apart and there is 6 in left for the insulation under the sheeting. The plans are requiring R30 insulation and the building inspector requested hard foam Thermasheath- 3, 5 in thick, leaving 1 in for breathing. The drywall was not installed yet, when water from condensation came down all over the place. There are vents on both sides of the roof, in each bay under the insulation level, not allowing the hot air to escape.

Asked By Angela M | Nov 22 13

What kind of insulation would you recommend for a 20' shipping container being renovated into a home/studio space?

I'm renovating a 20' shipping container into a home/studio space and am wondering what would be the best "green" insulation to use. I will be doing some interior framing so would like to insulate the inside walls and floor. As well, I am building a green roof/deck that is framed using the structural strength of the container (no weight on the center of the roof) and would like to add insulation between the joist supports and deck floor (approx 3" - 9" above the container roof) and the steel roof.

Asked By Sarah Beckstrom | Jan 19 14

Roof insulation

Home location in zone 2A Central Florida (Not on the coast). Having 2,053 SqFt living space w/above ceiling blown in insulation R-30 and an additional 1,027 uninsulated space. Fully vented at the soffet with minimal ridge vent. Soon to install 2 solar powered thermostat controlled 1600cfm roof vents. The wall construction is CMU block w/stucco finish. The roof is 6:12 pitch, Arch shingles over 30lb felt paper and OSB. The ceiling plane is tight.

Asked By Steven Clark | Oct 24 14

Add R-14 Roxul between the garage attic and the house?

I am currently in the process of insulating my attached garage using Roxul R14 "ComfortBatts". I live in Winnipeg and from experience -- when I did this in my last house -- it can improve the temperature by 10-15 degrees Celsius in the winter, without any heating. (And that was with a non-insulated garage door; my new house has insulated garage doors!)

Asked By Mike Lucas | Oct 23 14

Minisplit - One indoor unit for two adjacent rooms?

Do any of the minisplit manufacturers offer a wall mounted indoor unit that will service two adjacent rooms? I'm considering a minisplit to replace the gas furnace and a/c in my 1300 sq. ft. single level home in zone 3A (mixed-humid). Without a shared indoor unit on the common wall between two bedrooms, I might need five indoor units. The multizone minisplits seem to jump from 4 to 8 zones and the price jumps too. I understand the technical problems with one wall unit serving two rooms, but have any of the manufacturers solved them.

Asked By Steve Robertson | Oct 23 14