I seem to have condensation buildup on the inside of a dual-walled horizontal flue pipe coming from heater

There is a hole on vertical portion of same flue pipe, although single wall at this point. Would this hole cause moisture buildup on inside of duct and the water would accumulate in low portion of the duct and leak out?

Asked By Graef | Dec 16 17

How do I insulate brick wall from the heated side of house?

I am working on a 1978 built, brick house in Juneau, Alaska. Was seeing moisture on drywall and some mold. After removing drywall found 2X2 nailers, 2 feet on center nailed at the grout line. Between the nailers was 1.5 inches of white bead board. Found a few places where the air was leaking in and believe that they have been taken care of.

Other info:
wall is above grade
appears to be single, standard size, red brick constructed wall

I am not sure how to continue...how much insulation can I add for the climate and not damage the brick?

Asked By Daniel Hall | Dec 17 17

Garage Doors: Any improvements on low infiltration, high R value?

I've read a few GBA discussions about the sorry state of garage door R value and infiltration. The conclusion was to look first for infiltration values, and then question the r-value because it probably does not apply to the entire door assembly.

I'm wondering if anyone has any updated information on any products that might be better that others, and hopefully something affordable.

Asked By c l | Dec 17 17

Rim Joist insulation with blocking

I am finishing my new construction basement addition and I'm a little unsure of what to do with the rim joists. The rim joists are 2x12 LVL with double rims over two groups of two windows. A cripple wall separates the rim bays from the foundation. Tyvek covers the sheathing with a rainscreen gap. There is TJI (I beam) blocking in between each floor joist, leaving an open space behind each block. I currently have R30 Roxul filling the rim joist bays but I'm wondering if I should pull it out, install rigid foam-sealing the edges with spray foam, then reinstall the Roxul.

Asked By pat beurskens | Dec 17 17

Region 5 above grade reno insulation improvements

Region 5, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301. Cape Cod style house (bedrooms on 2nd floor in what was once a large attic).

I'm renovating the kitchen on my first floor. I will be pulling down the drywall on the exterior wall and the ceiling.

Asked By Ryan O'Rourke | Dec 18 17

How will this all shake out?

Traditionally if an owner or builder went to construct a house they used the assemblies that were common to the area. There might be several choices, but typically they were those used by, and familiar to, everyone in the trades.

We are currently in a period of transition, where these assemblies, being seen as not responsive to the demands we put on contemporary houses, are being discarded or updated.

Asked By Malcolm Taylor | Dec 17 17

Region 5 below grade basement insulation techniques with intention to finish

I've probably read most or all of the articles on the subject 5-6 times over, but am still left with many questions as the advice can quickly change as the circumstances do, and it's difficult to keep track of all these factors.

My goal is to finish my below grade basement in 18301 Region 5. Cape cod style home built in 1968. 954 sq ft basement.

Asked By Ryan O'Rourke | Nov 19 17

1952 Cape Cod

First-time poster. In the past 2 months, I’ve read a hundred or so GBA articles and comment threads; I’ve been amazed by the expertise and generosity of the community. I’ve also read extensively at buildingscience and finehomebuilding -- I’m new to but very interested in building science. Here’s why:

BUILDING BACKGROUND

Asked By Emerson W | Dec 11 17

Cold bedroom fix?

Climate zone 6A, my daughter-in-law's 1990s half of a duplex. Cold bedroom juts into garage (see photos). Fiberglass (6"?) that's below bedroom subfloor isn't in contact with it - about a 2" gap as far as I can tell.

To take the photo that looks up at the subfloor, I reached my camera through the gap below the wall sheathing, while simultaneously pulling the fiberglass aside. So, basically no access to push the fiberglass up against the subfloor.

Asked By Jonathan Beers | Dec 15 17

Insulating a 1890s floor from unfinished basement

I am looking to insulate the floor in an 1890s victorian house in Maryland (zone 4) that has an unfinished basement. The floor of the first floor can be quite chilly and its a definite heat loss.

Asked By Joseph Rosen | Dec 16 17